Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Political March Photos

Article about: These three photos were taken in 1932, so they aren't really Third Reich vintage, but they are close. My father-in-law, Franz Eichberger took these with his Leica I 35mm camera. He was an am

Default SA Political March Photos

These three photos were taken in 1932, so they aren't really Third Reich vintage, but they are close. My father-in-law, Franz Eichberger took these with his Leica I 35mm camera. He was an amateur photographer who spent his days off taking photos of whatever was around him and did his own darkroom work.

This first photo was taken in Wedding, the Berlin district where he and his family lived, in June 1932. SA marches like those shown in these three photos were a regular feature throughout Germany as the 31 July national election approached. I have always gotten a particular enjoyment from this photo because of the bar (pub) in the background with the name Sturm-Local. I wonder if that is where this parade was organized.
    This photo was taken on Wilhelm-Strasse in the government quarter. My father-in-law was the Oberküchenmeister at the Adlon Hotel, which was just up the street at Parisier-Platz, He took this photo during a break.
    This photo is also in what is known as Stadtmitte (city middle) on Friedrich-Strasse. A point that I find interesting is that in the first photo there are no policemen walking with the march, but in both the Stadtmitte photos, they are there. Their purpose was to insure that the march did not become a brawl. They weren't there to keep the SA in line, they were there to watch for agitators in the crowd. I would have expected a fairly strong police presence in Wedding, which was a Communist stronghold in Berlin, but there are none in the first photo. Dwight

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Political March Photos
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA Political March Photos

thanks for showing.

?

An interesting contrast Dwight to the photos of Friedrich Strasse in May 1945 !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Colt45: That's a really super photo; where did you get it? Thanks for adding that to the thread. Dwight

?

had that one in the pile, it is sharp detail, thanks

Super photos. A nice look at the early stages.

Dwight

Great subject matter! Fun to imagine being there as your family was.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Awesome! Even better is that you know that he took them. I like the first shot especially .....