Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division

Article about: Have had these pictures for a long time and I was doing some cleaning and they popped up again.. Glad to have found them again.. I believe the unit is part of the 90. Panzergrenadier-Divisio

Default SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division

Have had these pictures for a long time and I was doing some cleaning and they popped up again.. Glad to have found them again.. I believe the unit is part of the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division on Sardinia..

This unit was formed in Sardinia from the Division Sardinien to replace the destroyed 90. Leichte Afrika Division. It was moved to Corsica before being transferred to northern Italy. It fought at Anzio, Rome, the Caesar and Gothic Lines and the Po River.

It was destroyed near Bologna, Italy, April 1945.

If you look at the divisional marking on the right front bumper of the halftrack you can see what appears to be the outline of the island of Sardinia with the sword going through the middle.

Some interesting equipment and camouflage can also be seen.

Enjoy..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division   SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division  

Attached Images Attached Images SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division  SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division  SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SD kfz 251 from the 90. Panzergrenadier-Division
    P
    Many

?

I really like these pictures. These pictures really show off how for late war german vehicles, to survive allied air supremacy, needed to camo up as much as possible. Another thing I noticed is the sdkfz 251 is missing its MG42 gun shield. Maybe its a field modification to allow them to take the MG42 out of the vehicle if abandoning quickly or to give a greater angle range of fire.

Jb,

I appreciate your comments and insight.. Thanks for sharing your picture..

Smitty

I have my doubts if the MG42 is attached to the Sdkfz. Maybe its just laying there. It has its bi-pot attached. I see that both its sights are folded down, apparently no direct danger for the soldiers. Also, if you look even closer you can see that its an early version of the MG42 with the rare first version of the cocking-handle!

Have you seen the MG34 in the far left corner? its set-up to be used as anti-aircraft MG with its "spider-web" sight attached.

I like the camo jacket and tropical fieldcaps. The unit insignia is the cherry on the cake! Outstanding photo's!

Thanks PG for your insight and knowledge on this.. This topic is well out of my scope and wheel house...Glad I was able to share the photo with more informed folks on what equipment and uniforms are shown...

Smitty