Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch

Article about: Hi All, I Picked this piece up from the WAF a few months back, and thought I'd share it with all of you. The soldbuch belonged to gerfreiter Josef Gerards who served with Grenadier Regiment

Although it can't be seen from the scans, this obituary matches his birth date. I hope this is indeed the soldat pictured in the soldbuch. Looks like he lived a long life if it's the same individual.

Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shrapnel Damaged Possible KIA Soldbuch
    P
    Many

Wagriff I wondered also if it was a bayonet thrust, but figured a sharp blade would leave a straight cut line in the book. But I could be wrong.

Remember,though, that bayonets were not sharp-just the pointy tips. I guess it doesn't really matter just what it was-shrapnel,bullet,bayonet or who knows....but it looked like that to me,at any rate. The amount of blood-or lack of it-looks unusual to me too-I would have expected any one of the various wound methods to have produced a gout of a blood gush, rather than what looks like a few drops, but who knows? At first I wondered if the hole had been made by a soldier sticking his knife or bayonet through it-the blood spot could have been from any time and reason, but it didn't look serious, and if the soldier did,indeed, survive so long after the war's end, it couldn't have been a deadly blow.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I find this Soldbuch interesting for the unit, not so much the damage it has suffered or the speculation. But for sure it wasn't eaten by a mouse. Nice addition and very collectable unit.

Whatever caused it, it didn't happen in Normandy. There is a typhus vaccination dated for March 1945 so it would of happened after that as I would imagine with that amount of damage to the Soldbuch he would of been issued another one (possibly by a Lazarett.)
    In February 1945 84.Infanterie-Division was fighting in the Reichswald Forest against the Allied Operation Veritable and in March against the follow on Operation, Blockbuster.
    Last edited by hucks216; 06-13-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Whatever caused it, it didn't happen in Normandy. There is a typhus vaccination dated for March 1945 so it would of happened after that as I would imagine with that amount of damage to the Soldbuch he would of been issued another one (possibly by a Lazarett.)
    In February 1945 84.Infanterie-Division was fighting in the Reichswald Forest against the Allied Operation Veritable and in March against the follow on Operation, Blockbuster.
    I saw that entry too, it was advertised by the seller as being a probable stamping accident. I was skeptical at first but found it strange that the closest date to the stamp was from August 1944. Then again I'm certainly no expert, so this could be normal for the chaotic time frame.

He was with 84.Inf.Division in Normandy as he was with Grenadier.Rgt 1051's predecessor as shown by the use of the same Kriegstammrollen Nr in the last column of Section C on page 4 but the Typhus entry is probably ok. He might of even kept the SB after it was damaged as someone has written notes in it that look like an address in one of them.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    He was with 84.Inf.Division in Normandy as he was with Grenadier.Rgt 1051's predecessor as shown by the use of the same Kriegstammrollen Nr in the last column of Section C on page 4 but the Typhus entry is probably ok. He might of even kept the SB after it was damaged as someone has written notes in it that look like an address in one of them.
    Wow I hadn't even considered that, appreciate the insight!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2