Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soldier's Train Ticket?

Article about: by HPL2008 And it was quite a train journey our soldier had to make... The entries state that the ticket was valid for a journey from Dünaburg to Wien via Wilna-Wirballen. The train to be us

Default Soldier's Train Ticket?

Can anyone give me a better idea of what this is? Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldier's Train Ticket?   Soldier's Train Ticket?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soldier's Train Ticket?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soldier's Train Ticket?

Anyone?

Yep..it does, indeed, appear to be a Wehrmacht soldiers train ticket. "Part 2", so I am assuming it it his return ticket portion. July 24,1943 at 11:45 PM. Train car #508. Gefreiter Georg Kronawetter was "on vacation" and travelling 3rd Class. Can't quite make out the cities to and from, as they are under the cancellation stamp. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Yep..it does, indeed, appear to be a Wehrmacht soldiers train ticket. "Part 2", so I am assuming it it his return ticket portion. July 24,1943 at 11:45 PM. Train car #508. Gefreiter Georg Kronawetter was "on vacation" and travelling 3rd Class. Can't quite make out the cities to and from, as they are under the cancellation stamp. William
    Thank you so much, Wargriff!!! I really appreciate it!

I'm happy you posted this and if you don't mind my intruding I have a few of those that I may copy next week.
    The above is pretty correct. It was however not a "vacation" as much as a R&R ... rest and recoop.

If I tried to explain it would take forever. I'm sure it will be translated soon.

BTW, I like those kind of doc's. Makes me wonder what was going through this mans mind sitting on a p.o.s. rail car. Love I would imagin.
    Hope he had a few more.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    I'm happy you posted this and if you don't mind my intruding I have a few of those that I may copy next week.
    The above is pretty correct. It was however not a "vacation" as much as a R&R ... rest and recoop.

If I tried to explain it would take forever. I'm sure it will be translated soon.

BTW, I like those kind of doc's. Makes me wonder what was going through this mans mind sitting on a p.o.s. rail car. Love I would imagin.
    Hope he had a few more.
    Thanks for your reply! This guy probably had a swift R&R, then had to return to the Hell of war. It must have been a tease for the warriors on all sides. I'm glad that our nations are friends now. I wish other nations/ideologies could learn from the past!

Rudy my brother has much to add on this and nice one Jay...

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    Rudy my brother has much to add on this and nice one Jay...

Eric
    This is why I post here, Eric! I know you and the gang won't let me down!

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    BTW, I like those kind of doc's. Makes me wonder what was going through this mans mind sitting on a p.o.s. rail car. Love I would imagine.

And it was quite a train journey our soldier had to make...

The entries state that the ticket was valid for a journey from Dünaburg to Wien via Wilna-Wirballen. The train to be used was passenger train no. 508 departing from Wilna on 1145 hrs. on 24 July 1943 and going to Eydtkau. Let's have a look at those places:

• Dünaburg is the German name for the city of Daugavpils in south-eastern Latvia.
    • Wilna is the German name for the Lithuanian capital Vilnius.
    • Wirballen (or Wyrballen) is the German name for Virbalis (Lithuanian name) or Wierzbołów (Polish name) a Lithuanian town formerly part of Northern East Prussia.
    • Eydtkau (or Eydtkuhnen) is the German name for Chernyshevskoye/Чернышевское (Russian name) or Eitkūnai (Lithuanian name) a settlement in the Russian Kaliningrad Oblast, near the Lithuanian border; it neighbors Wirballen. Up until 1945, Eydtkau was the final destination operated by the Prussian Eastern Railway.
    • Wien, of course, is Vienna, the Austrian capital.

By road, that is a trip of more than 1,400 kilometers. Now imagine this, sitting on Third-Class Coach wooden benches while riding steamtrains operating under wartime conditions. Sure, it beats being in combat and no doubt the man was grateful for his R&R time, but still...

A really interesting document, that tells a story!

Great translation as usual HPL

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast