Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS photo with KIA ....... real?

Article about: Hey guys, i have been collecting photos for a while....... this one is marked Agfa-Brovira. No lines under the maker, so the paper stock quality is the lowest..... I just have questions.....

?

Default SS photo with KIA ....... real?

Hey guys, i have been collecting photos for a while....... this one is marked Agfa-Brovira. No lines under the maker, so the paper stock quality is the lowest..... I just have questions...... it has almost a s stiff cardboard feel, thick ....sorta like those fake Soviet pics.. anyway....... i want second opinions on this photo please.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS photo with KIA  ....... real?   SS photo with KIA  ....... real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS photo with KIA  ....... real?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS photo with KIA ....... real?

Have you done a blacklight test on it ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Hi Paul, no.....not yet. Mine is broken,so I am going to run it over to a fellow collector in the next day or two. From just what I know of period photos, I think it is ok.....slight corner creases and little edge folds.....it just seems like to "good" a pic to be real. What I mean is the content,it looks like a magazine shot or in a refernce book. Not a candid picture. If it was taken by a unit pphotographer,you would think they would use better photo paper stock???? Anywayy,I guess the U.V. light will answer my question.

?

It looks ok but the blacklight test shoudl tell conclusivley , it is an atypical photo of those taken during the early stages of the Russian campaign when sights such as this were a new experience for many Kriegsberichter or ordinary soldat with a camera , later as they saw death on a daily basis these photos are seen less and less !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

You're talking about a "gut feel" here, Newbie. And I know what you mean.

But looking at the thing and trying to be objective, I don't see anything wrong jumping out at me.

As far as the paper stock... hard to judge without the thing in hand.

What are the dimensions? And, as Paul E says, black lighting it would be the first thing I'd do.

?

The dimensions are roughly 8.9 cm x 6.4 or 3.5 x 2.5 in. ....a little smaller,I just did a quick measurement. I think the size is fine. I will compare with otherAgfa-Brovira pics I have. I really like the photo and am hoping it is real. I will U.V. light it tom.

Well like I said, I think it's easy to prejudice oneself with all the fakes out there, but I think one has to be careful of that and try to see the image for its traits. As far as the actual image I think it's good. I would not, on that basis alone, be uncomfortable with this photograph. The paper thickness I don't want to judge from an image.
    From the back, the photograph also looks correct to me for the size. I was not asking because of concerns about whether the dimensions were wrong per se, I was looking for that to get an idea of the scale ratio between the "agfa" mark and the area of the photo itself. Just curious is all I was.

There are guys who are very experienced with respect to the pattern of cut around the edges and hearing comment about this would be useful as a next step as well as putting it under UV. Do this side-by-side with a known original as if the black light you use is not very powerful this will help.

These are the two next steps I'd take in verifying this photograph.

?

Hi Newbie,
    Like already stated, this is a tough one without holding it in hand. I highly reccomend very carefully peeling back one of the corners a bit (slightly split the paper) and use the blacklight on the middle layers of the photo paper. This will give a more precise UV reading.

Here is another little method that can help to try and see if the photo was printed from the original negative:

Look for a scratch, scrape, or wrinkle/etc on the image itself. If You can see the damage, but you can't really feel it with your fingers, it could be a "2nd generation" or reprinted photo....which is common to see in fakes or copies of photos.

*Like the UV test, this isnt always 100% accurate, as some reprints are period printed..... but just a little extra something to look for when you get that "gut feeling".

?

Ok guys, black lighted the photo, completely dead! There are actual physical wrinkles on the one corner,I can see and feel them. I compared the font size and location with others I have and it matches. I am satisfied with the findings and I believe it to be real.