Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Street plaque

Article about: Hello dear fellows: A militaria dealer offer me this item from a street in München: Strasse der SA. What your opinion about this item? Thanks Best regards

wittman
    ?

Default Street plaque

Hello dear fellows:
    A militaria dealer offer me this item from a street in München: Strasse der SA. What your opinion about this item?

Thanks

Best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Street plaque  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Street plaque

I saw a AH strasse lately; it was quiet expensive!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I have serious doubts regading this sign. Attached are three different signs all with provenance to Munich. The "Strass der SA" sign was aquired by a 45th Division veteran over 40 years ago. Note the similarity in design and font. From the image supplied, it appears there has been an attempt to artificially age the piece. I would also doubt that two signs so disimilar in design would have been used on the same street in Munich.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Street plaque   Street plaque  

Street plaque  
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Here are my thoughts on this.

The sign itself in an this embossed format is not one I have seen before or seen reproduced. The "standard" pattern enamel signs are most certainly copied today. I saw several different types being offered for sale, as copies, a few weeks ago at Beltring War & Peace show. They were all dark blue with white lettering.

The story about it coming from Munich could just be an invention by the seller. I cannot make my mind up about this one, not having seen one before. But one real concern would be the lack of age/wear around the screwholes. Personally I would stick to the type shown by Bob.

Cheers, Ade.

I thought all street signs were of a standard size, they certainly are in the u.k. Furthermore, the font type is also restricted to a certain type,(in the u.k,2).

The sign originally posted does not follow these lines, whereas the other 3 do. Therefore, i'd leave it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

All of the street signs I have seen over the years had a porcelain enamel finish. they were either white with black lettering or blue with white lettering. Due to the poor detail of the picture, I missed what Ade notice. The sign is embossed. In order to emboss metal, the gauge of the material needs to be fairly light. Light metal would certainly not stand up to foul weather over an extended period of time. Couple that with the painted finish, I believe this to be a poor attempt fake.
    BOB

wittman
    ?

Thanks to everybody for your expert opinions.I also feel the plaque is a fake one, but I prefered to ear the experts.

Thanks again

wittman
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I have serious doubts regading this sign. Attached are three different signs all with provenance to Munich. The "Strass der SA" sign was aquired by a 45th Division veteran over 40 years ago. Note the similarity in design and font. From the image supplied, it appears there has been an attempt to artificially age the piece. I would also doubt that two signs so disimilar in design would have been used on the same street in Munich.
    Hi Bob again:
    I´ve just purchased this emailschild.What´s your opinion as an expert? I'll be very grateful to you for your comments.Its measurements are 90x20 cm.

Thanks
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Street plaque  

Quote by wittman View Post
    Hi Bob again:
    I´ve just purchased this emailschild.What´s your opinion as an expert? I'll be very grateful to you for your comments.Its measurements are 90x20 cm.

Thanks
    Regards
    From the images, the sign has the look of a period piece. I would like to see closer images of the rust around the mounting holes and the rear enamel work. Please note an "expert" I am not. There is too much responsibility with wanting that title.
    BOB

I would share Bob's concerns re the lack of rust marks.

This is the exact style I have seen sold as repros.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast