Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Suetterlin script help needed!

Article about: Hi guys, I am looking for someone who can read Suetterlin. I can't. If you can, please let me know here or you can p.m. me. Thanks, Mo

Default Suetterlin script help needed!

Hi guys,

I am looking for someone who can read Suetterlin. I can't. If you can, please let me know here or you can p.m. me.

Thanks,
    Mo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Suetterlin script help needed!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Suetterlin script help needed!

I'm guessing you should be talking to HPL! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I'm guessing you should be talking to HPL! William
    HPL! Where are you!!!! I need your help!

Right here; but I'm afraid I can't make any promises up front.

I mean, I can often decypher Sütterlin text if it is written in with precise, clear handwriting (and even then it's a rather slow & arduous process for me so I normally don't even tackle longer texts at all); but the problem is that many people didn't (and don't) have precise, clear handwriting....

What is it that you have?

As posted in another thread I have a group of documents that belonged to Reichsleiter und Chef der Kanzlei des Fuehrers der NSDAP Philipp Bouhler. I believe that I may have his handwriting on the back of one of the pre-war dinner invitations. While I am fluent in German, I can't read this.

Please compare Bouhler's handwriting from his I.D.'s to what is on the back of the invitation.

If you require better photos, I can provide you with whatever you need. I have made a feeble attempt to change the hue and saturation levels so that it is more legibile.

Thanks,
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Suetterlin script help needed!   Suetterlin script help needed!  

Suetterlin script help needed!   Suetterlin script help needed!  

I should note that all of these things of Philipp Bouhler's were taken from him during his interrogation, or dead body, whichever came first. He was among Hermann Goering's cadre of 75 or so when they were all captured by American soldiers in Austria.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    As posted in another thread I have a group of documents that belonged to Reichsleiter und Chef der Kanzlei des Fuehrers der NSDAP Philipp Bouhler. I believe that I may have his handwriting on the back of one of the pre-war dinner invitations. While I am fluent in German, I can't read this.
    I was afraid I would be that document. I had already had a look at it when you initially posted it and could hardly make out anything. The color-adjusted "blue" version is a bit better, but I can still offer no more than a partial decyphering with several blanks. Here's what I can make out:

"Mein Tischherr. Stabschef Lutze
    [...] [...] Frau [...] [...]
    Empfang für die Reichs[...]ung u.
    die Reichstatthalter"

Please compare Bouhler's handwriting from his I.D.'s to what is on the back of the invitation.
    Couldn't tell if this was written by the same hand.

The only handwriting on the I.D. documents done by Bouhler himself would be his signatures, and a signature does not necessarily look like a person's normal handwriting. (Alright, maybe a graphologist could still match them up from various characteristics, but this far exceeds my skills.)

The other handwritten entries on the I.D. documents would not have been entered by Bouhler, but by the officials/clerks preparing them.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 09-17-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I was afraid I would be that document. I had already had a look at it when you initially posted it and could hardly make out anything. The color-adjusted "blue" version is a bit better, but I can still offer no more than a partial decyphering with several blanks. Here's what I can make out:

"Mein Tischerr. Stabschef Lutze
    [...] [...] Frau [...] [...]
    Empfang für die Reichs[...]ung u.
    die Reichstatthalter"

Couldn't tell if this was written by the same hand.

The only handwriting on the I.D. documents done by Bouhler himself would be his signatures, and a signature does not necessarily look like a person's normal handwriting. (Alright, maybe a graphologist could still match them up from various characteristics, but this far exceeds my skills.)

The other handwritten entries on the I.D. documents would not have been entered by Bouhler, but by the officials/clerks preparing them.
    Thank you very much HPL! I really appreciate your help. I have a few questions though now that I have some more info:

1. What does "Tischerr" mean? Is this a nickname?
    2. Who is Stabschef Luetze?
    3. Am I correct in thinking that a Reichstatthalter is a state governor?

Thanks again! If anyone can answer these questions for me, that would be great.

Best regards,
    Mo

1. What does "Tischerr" mean? Is this a nickname?
    No; it's a not a nickname. The term has to do with table etiquette; it could be literally translated as "Table-Gent" and refers to the man sitting to the left of a lady at formal receptions/dinners who has the "duty" of conversing with her, seeing to her needs, helping her get up and sit down etc.
    (Which makes me wonder whether this was perhaps written by Frau Bouhler.)

2. Who is Stabschef Luetze??
    SA-Stabschef Viktor Lutze, successor of Ernst Röhm after the latter was killed.
    Viktor Lutze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Am I correct in thinking that a Reichstatthalter is a state governor?
    Well, I guess it could be roughly translated as state governor. See here for a more in-depth explanation:
    Reichsstatthalter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    No; it's a not a nickname. The term has to do with table etiquette; it could be literally translated as "Table-Gent" and refers to the man sitting to the left of a lady at formal receptions/dinners who has the "duty" of conversing with her, seeing to her needs, helping her get up and sit down etc.
    (Which makes me wonder whether this was perhaps written by Frau Bouhler.)

SA-Stabschef Viktor Lutze, successor of Ernst Röhm after the latter was killed.
    Viktor Lutze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, I guess it could be roughly translated as state governor. See here for a more in-depth explanation:
    Reichsstatthalter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You are an incredible human being, sir. Thanks again for your help. It really does appear that this is not Philipp Bouhler's handwriting, but his wife's instead. This grouping was the best investment I have ever made, and I can't stop studying every detail of every document.