Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A T34 tank used by the Germans

Article about: I was going through some of my things and came across this photo, I thought I’d show it purely because I like it. Three German soldiers standing in front of a shot up Russian tank with Germa

?

Default A T34 tank used by the Germans

I was going through some of my things and came across this photo, I thought I’d show it purely because I like it. Three German soldiers standing in front of a shot up Russian tank with German markings, a T34 I think but may be wrong.

The man in the middle was killed in 1942 somewhere in the area of a place called Oljschowka in the north west of Russia. Oljschowka no longer seems to exist or at least not with that spelling.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A T34 tank used by the Germans  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A T34 tank used by the Germans
    P
    Many

Great photo, yes it is indeed a T34 and quite an early model with the large single turret hatch!....

?

Neat picture.

?

Thanks.

Would be nice to know which unit he was in as well as knowing what happened to the other two men. I also have a photo of him when he received his EKII, it was in Russia and the weather looks similar to that above so perhaps the photos were taken around the same time.

Tony

Thumbs up

I am thinking a 1941 model with the F-34 main gun

The Germans and other Axis allies used captured armour a great deal on the Eastern front but usually not in direct combat for the obvious reason that folks shoot first and rarely bother to ask questions after when they see or hear an 'enemy' tank near them-spares and ammunition are usually a long term problem as well, although vast amounts of equipment were captured by the Germans in the first 6 months of 'Barbarossa'-the damage in the photo is small arms caused to the mud guards that are only thin sheet steel.
    PS-What looks like a hole in the gun mantlet is the opening for the gunner's telescopic sight.

What purpose would a captured tank serve ?

To use up captured ammunition? *guessing*
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    What purpose would a captured tank serve ?
    Not only for propaganda, but also technical examination
    - to see how the systems function and compare to
    German tanks.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Here's a great website I've had in my 'Favourites' for several years now, featuring German captured AFV's, trucks and cars from all Allied countries besides Russian ones. There are some really interesting photo's that are well worth a look.

Beutepanzer

Beutepanzer Photo's.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast