Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Tallest German Surrenders

Article about: Hi, thought I would share this pic with you..... Attachment 843934 Corporal Bob Roberts was overseeing the surrender of dozens of enemy soldiers during the Battle of Normandy when the 7ft 6i

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    It's great to see Bob is still with us, i wonder if the big bloke is still alive?.....
    No sure Gunny, but I am sure Bob mentioned that Jacob had now passed on, I have been down in Dorset all week and was hoping to pop in on Bob for a chat but I have had to return home early.
    I will be giving him a call tomorrow instead, I will ask him

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Tallest German Surrenders
    P
    Many

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    No sure Gunny, but I am sure Bob mentioned that Jacob had now passed on, I have been down in Dorset all week and was hoping to pop in on Bob for a chat but I have had to return home early.
    I will be giving him a call tomorrow instead, I will ask him

Cheers
    Thank you!....

If I get to 92 I hope I look that good!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

An interesting video about Bob

Video news from the Bournemouth Echo

Cheers
    Last edited by HistoryMan; 10-02-2015 at 02:27 PM.

This is a terrific thread! It would be great to see Bob and the big German fella together for a pic if he's still alive. Thanks for sharing the story and pics mate, great stuff.

I will hopefully be speaking to Bob later if he's at home

Interestingly if you look at this Pathe news clip, at 03.39, it could very well be film footage of Bob with Jakob Nacken, I need to confirm with Bob if he smoked at the time !!

Hellfire Corner Aka Hell Fire Corner - British Pathé

Cheers

Just doing a bit of searching thanks to google, it looks as though Jakob Nacken may have died in Germany in 1987.

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    Just doing a bit of searching thanks to google, it looks as though Jakob Nacken may have died in Germany in 1987.
    Yes I think you are right

Just had an interesting conversation with Bob, he was telling me an interesting story about how his company " B " company, North Shore Regiment were virtually wiped out by their own Artillery at Carpiquet

Sad day today, Eldon " Bob " Freeman Roberts passed away in his sleep yesterday

RIP old friend

?

Very sad news to hear that we have lost another great man from that generation. It is difficult to see the numbers of these men decrease so frequently. The forum and threads like these play an important part in keeping their memory alive and I always love reading about these men. I am trying to have my Great Grandfather's diary published- he was on the HMNZS Achilles and HMS Phoebe during the war.

Rest easy Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast