Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Are these men wearing Summer Dress SS uniforms?

Article about: Is this Berchtesgaden? Are these men wearing Summer Dress SS uniforms? What about the blank collar tabs? I asked this question in a different sub forum but didn't get any concrete answer. I

Question Is this Berchtesgaden? Are they wearing SS summer dress uniforms?

Is this Berchtesgaden? Are these men wearing Summer Dress SS uniforms? What about the blank collar tabs? I asked this question in a different sub forum but didn't get any concrete answer. I am hoping someone in this sub forum will know more. Thanks everyone!
    Are these men wearing Summer Dress SS uniforms?Are these men wearing Summer Dress SS uniforms?Are these men wearing Summer Dress SS uniforms?
    Last edited by yarmouth; 05-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these men wearing Summer Dress SS uniforms?
    P
    Many

had this before,the answer was yes.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    had this before,the answer was yes.
    The topic seemed kind of grey to me and that is why I posted it here. I've been putting my photo's up on Flickr and this one needed a definitive answer. Do you know where this could of been taken. I wonder about the blank collar tabs. Maybe Berchtesgaden?

I'm afraid that no 100% definitive answer about the exact identity of this group has been given so far on the WRF, the WAF or the AHF because it just isn't possible.

The combination of the black collar patches, ties, breeches and boots worn by the men in the white tunics as well as the presence of the black-uniformed SS officer in their center point towards them being SS men.

A white SS tunic did exist and the cut of the white tunics in this photograph also matches (or at least does not contradict) that of the SS model, but it has to be noted that white, open collared tunics were worn by a substantial number of other uniformed organizations as well, including, for example, the SA or the NSDAP's corps of Political Leaders. I would not call the white summer tunic a "dress tunic", though, as it was strictly worn off-duty for informal occasions (for "walking-out", as a mess uniform, when attending sports events etc.).

The insignia are a bit of a puzzle, though: The white SS tunic was worn with shoulderboards (photos show both one and two boards in wear) and these are absent here for some reason. A blank right-hand collar patch was worn by a whole number of SS agencies, units and formations, and a blank left-hand collar patch was worn by the lowest SS rank of SS-Mann, but the age of these men makes it seem highly unlikely that they have all just joined the SS, at least not as regular new recruits. Perhaps they have been taken into the SS as a group under some kind of special arrangement, for example after one of the 1938/1939 annexations and are now undergoing an abbreviated training/candidateship program? But this is just a totally wild guess and pure speculation...

As for the location: There is absolutely nothing in this photographs that indicates this is or is not Berchtesgaden. It could have been taken anywhere.

Thank you very much for your valuable input! I'm glad I found this photo and perhaps someday another will be found by someone that will give more information and solve this mystery. Well whoever they are, they look happy!

Mussert's NSB of Holland? The dude with the Hitler mustache looks like he is wearing a tie pin that doesn't appear to have a swastika. The collar patches don't look completely black to me. They appear to have a black border and a lighter color field. Can't make it out though. Neat stuff. Why was yarmouth banned anyway? Great site you collectors have
    Last edited by BlackWatch; 06-15-2014 at 07:41 PM.

What kind of tie pin is that I wonder. I like the snazzy jackets.