MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Train tickets?

Article about: Hi Guys, These were in with some items that a ww2 vet brought home from the war. I am guessing that they have something to do with train tickets but I have no clue. Please can someone help m

Default Train tickets?

Hi Guys,

These were in with some items that a ww2 vet brought home
    from the war. I am guessing that they have something to do
    with train tickets but I have no clue.

Please can someone help me identify what they are?

thanks,
    Greg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Train tickets?  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Train tickets?
    P
    Many

Chopperman; They look similar to the tickets we bought to ride the East German controlled S-Bahn in Berlin in the mid-1950's. That isn't what they are, but they are similar. You paid the amount indicated by the zone numbers. There was a huge city map on the wall and the station where you were buying the ticket was the center of several concentric circles , each one representing a zone boundary. For example, when I bought a ticket in Steglitz to ride to Fronau, I went through six zones and I paid whatever the price was for six zones. The ticket guy punched the ticket so that anyone who questioned me, could see immediately that I was paid up for six zones. If I tried to cheat, and pay for a three zone ride when I was really going into the sixth zone, and I got caught, it was not a pleasant experience, especially if I got caught in the East Sector, and worse if I had actually entered the East Zone, which was under Soviet control. Anyway, those tickets are for something like that. Dwight

They are definitely post-war and from the FRG. Note the "DB" [Deutsche Bahn] logo and that the fares are in "DM" [Deutsche Mark].

The abbrevations are "E" = Einzelfahrt [single ride], "Rf" = Rückfahrt [return trip], "Halbpr" = Halbpreis [half price]. A Nachlösezuschlag is the additional price you have to pay when buying a ticket on a train.

Note that these tickets are perforated: Upon sale, the part above the indicated selling price/validity is ripped off. For example, the left ticket was sold for 4.80 DM and was valid for a full-price single fare or half-price return fare in tariff zone 5 and a full-price return fare in tariff zone 2.

Due to the system of zones and the low prices, I agree that they are probably S-Bahn tickets (S-Bahnen are short-distance city trains operating within large cities and their suburbs and adjoining municipalities).

The "DB" Logo was introduced in 1955, so the Tickets where made after that year, already in the "BRD" Bundesrepublik Deutschland.