Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown map

Article about: Hello guys I seem to have run into a period map of Leipzig that is section off in zones and has lines drawn in pencil with late war dates as well. Any info on this would be great. Thank you

Default Unknown map

Unknown map
    Unknown map
    Unknown map
    Unknown map
    Unknown map

Hello guys I seem to have run into a period map of Leipzig that is section off in zones and has lines drawn in pencil with late war dates as well. Any info on this would be great. Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown map
    P
    Many

Unknown map
    I think the only other thing I can add is that I found it mixed in with hitler youth papers but doesn't necessarily mean there is a correlation.

Don't know about the purpose of the actual map. It might be air defense-related, but that is speculation on my part.

The hand-drawn/-written entries appear to mark a travel route originating in Leipzig and going via Hersfeld (29 April 1945) and Hanau (30 April 1945) and further to the west (30 April 1945). At the time, the area had already been occupied by U.S. forces. (Hanau - or what was left of it - was taken on 28 March 1945, Hersfeld on 31 March 1945 and Leipzig on 18 - 20 April 1945.)

I wanted to say it was some sort of firing grid as well perhaps for artillery but that late in the war air defense would probably be a better guess.

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I wanted to say it was some sort of firing grid as well perhaps for artillery but that late in the war air defense would probably be a better guess.
    It certainly appears to be a "sector" reference of some kind but it would have to be relevant to the centre of the radius grid so likely not artillery at those ranges in that period. It could relate to air defence but for aircraft operations rather than flak and I guess it would have to relate to an airfield within the template I would imagine.
    The dividing lines are far too arbitrary for ground forces related boundaries but given the hand drawn apparent route marking suggests to me that this map was intended for one (aerial reference?) purpose but ended up being used for another (ground route planning?) such as a potential retreat towards the West and away from the Red Army because there was much make-do and mend in the final days/weeks and appropriate maps may have been unavailable.

Again, speculation but a fascinating item with a hidden tale I think

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Yes Watchdog it is fascinating. My dealer from across the pond throws in paperwork and such for free with my orders if he can't figure out the significance of such items so they become a curiosity for me.