Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Waffen-SS Feldpost Stamp

Article about: In regards to the Waffen-SS 16W stamp on the feldpost on the bottom left. I've seen a lot of the stampers on various auctions, but I was curious to know if they were actual stamps and if so,

Default Waffen-SS Feldpost Stamp

In regards to the Waffen-SS 16W stamp on the feldpost on the bottom left. I've seen a lot of the stampers on various auctions, but I was curious to know if they were actual stamps and if so, is the feldpost legit?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen-SS Feldpost Stamp
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Waffen-SS Feldpost Stamp

I've never seen a Waffen SS stamp such as that it may have been added to sex up the Feldpost , what is the actual Feldpost number ?

cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Paul D; 02-28-2012 at 06:38 PM.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I agree with Paul, I don't believe that larger style of Waffen-SS marking is original. It could well have been added to liven it up a bit, which if true, is a shame really, as the items shown do otherwise, appear fine. Below is an example of a Waffen-SS letter that I used to own, showing the ink stamp marking for comparison. Interestingly, the large font stamp that is visible above, is available commonly throughout Europe as a replica/fake ink stamp.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Feldpost Stamp  

The massive runes and modern looking font spell 'bogus' to me.

?

And here is an example of the replica stamp I mentioned above, often advertised and sold as originals, but actually junk made in Poland.

Regards,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images Waffen-SS Feldpost Stamp  Waffen-SS Feldpost Stamp 

Great photo of the ink stamp itself Carl. When people sell these bogus stamps, they never show what the ink stamp actually looks like on paper. Apparently, the buyers never ask.

Jay

?

Thank you Jay, and yes, I agree with you about people not asking for the stamp marking. I believe that as collectors in general, we often make the mistake of not asking for additional photographs...which in turn can lead to problems. Regarding the ink stamps though, the form of the replica stamp shown above, is probably the most common fake around. If anybody sees one, stear clear!

Regards,

Carl

Thank you very much for the information. I saw a couple lots that had both the feldposts and the bank notes stamped with the 'Waffen SS 16w', so of course I had to ask here first.

I've read that seeing a 0 in the day of the date stamped also signals a fake, is that true?