Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Waffen SS Poster

Article about: I know this isn't related to uniforms or insignia, but I thought the SS collectors that congregate here might get a kick out of it. I've always been fascinated by the recruitment posters for

Hi Dave, make sure you get some more images of the item and present them here, as ever, these are faked.

I have one large SS recruiting poster in my collection for Regt Westland and Frw Legion Flanders.

I have moved your thread for you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS Poster
    P
    Many

Thanks, Ade! I have asked the seller for some more photos of the poster (the one I posted was actually just an example of the poster, not the actual item for sale). For what it's worth, the only reproductions I've seen of this particular poster have been an obvious reprint where the letters are red instead of orange and the bottom band is missing, and a fake in which the address of a French recruiting office has been added to the orange band. Still, you can be sure that I'll post more pictures here before committing to this item.

As a suggestion, why not get a cheap reprint for display and put the $1K towards one of FB's caps?

Bear in mind also that displaying such a fragile and valuable poster should demand museum quality UV and non-reflective glass and an acid-free backing which will add considerably to the overall investment. Just my 2 cents...

?

I never knew Paul Newman was in the SS !?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim P; 02-21-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    As a suggestion, why not get a cheap reprint for display and put the $1K towards one of FB's caps?

Bear in mind also that displaying such a fragile and valuable poster should demand museum quality UV and non-reflective glass and an acid-free backing which will add considerably to the overall investment. Just my 2 cents...
    A friend of mine suggested that very thing, but I just can't stand the thought of anything in my collection being inauthentic, even if only for display purposes. I've looked into some framing options, and I should be able to afford a nice frame with the necessary UV-resistance and acid-free backing. For me, it's not only about the aesthetics of the piece, but also its rarity. The fact that there aren't all that many of these posters out there really makes it a desirable piece for me. I appreciate the suggestion, though! As far as a cap goes, that will be YEARS down the road...

Quote by Jim P View Post
    I never new Paul Newman was in the SS !?

Jim
    Haha! You know, now that you mention it, there is a striking resemblance! Good eye!

Alright, guys. I just found another example of this poster offered for a much more attractive price, so I want to try to determine its authenticity using the photos that I have of the item. I don't have much experience with paper items, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out as far as the printing style and paper quality are concerned. Here's an overall photo of the poster:

Waffen SS Poster

A closer look at the top and bottom of the poster:

Waffen SS Poster

Waffen SS Poster

Here are two photos to show the printing style/pattern:

Waffen SS Poster
    Waffen SS Poster

Here's a photo of the paper itself:

Waffen SS Poster

And here's one last photo that shows the finish on the poster:

Waffen SS Poster

Please let me know what you guys think! I feel that it's original, but I am certainly not an expert. Thanks!
    Last edited by daveward; 02-26-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Based on what I've read, this poster is supposed to be one of the few that feature a gloss or semi-gloss finish. I would like to note that the seller has informed me that the poster in question does NOT have a glossy finish on it whatsoever. I have heard from numerous sources that there are no known fakes of this poster with the blank orange bar along the bottom (though there are some with the bar filled in with French recruiting office information), but we all know that this is always subject to change. I'm trying to find people who have an authentic example of this poster in their collection so that I can compare photos of the ink printing pattern and the paper quality, but that is easier said than done. I welcome all opinions. Thanks!

Hi Dave,

They didn't have inkjet printers back then did they....????

Close inspection shows the tell tale dot pattern....FAKE.

Waffen SS Poster

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, I thought that inkjet printers produce a fairly random array of dots. To me, these looked more like the rosette patterns that would be consistent with period printing methods, although I'm certainly no expert... Could you tell me how it's supposed to look, as far as the pattern goes? What method of printing was used for these posters?

Quote by daveward View Post
    Ned, I thought that inkjet printers produce a fairly random array of dots. To me, these looked more like the rosette patterns that would be consistent with period printing, although I'm certainly no expert... Could you tell me how it's supposed to look, as far as the pattern goes? What method of printing was used for these posters?
    Ahh! I was wondering who would be the first to spot that......

Waffen SS Poster
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast