Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Waffen SS Poster

Article about: I know this isn't related to uniforms or insignia, but I thought the SS collectors that congregate here might get a kick out of it. I've always been fascinated by the recruitment posters for

Quote by big ned View Post
    Ahh! I was wondering who would be the first to spot that......
    Wait, was that a test or something? I'm confused...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS Poster
    P
    Many

It's a British comedy catch phrase that was used by Captain Mainwaring in the ww2 comedy 'Dad's Army' whenever he was wrong. It obviously doesn't travel well....

Should you have a spare half hour here's a random taster. Classic stuff!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Haha, I understand now! Ned, I know practically nothing about printing methods, so please don't take my word for it... I was hoping that some of the experts could give some opinions on the ink pattern and paper composition to help out with this authentication.

?

I have known a few fellows that were in the SS.
    The one that is still alive today is the father of a friend of mine from Tulsa, Oklahoma.
    My wife and I attended my friends wedding in Guatemala City, Guatemala some years back. His father was in the Hitler Youth Division. After he warmed up to me (after several shots of schnapps) and felt comfortable to talk with me about his service in the SS I asked him why he joined the SS from the Hitler youth. He said that is easy he knew he was going to be drafted into the army and the SS paid more money.
    There is a sizable community of Germans there that migrated in the late 40s and early 50s. Many former Waffen SS members.
    The reason I am telling this story he is very similar in appearance to the fellow on the poster.

Another collector has informed me that his authentic example of this poster does not have the same ink pattern. The paper on the backside of this one also looks whiter than other examples I've seen. Here are some other examples that I believe to be authentic:

Waffen SS Poster
    Waffen SS Poster
    Waffen SS Poster
    Waffen SS Poster
    Waffen SS Poster

The poster in question is the ONLY one I've seen that doesn't have a somewhat reflective surface. The story the seller gave me with regard to how he acquired this item is also pretty strange... Here's what he said:

"It is possible that someone produces a copy of this original. There were in fact found larger quantities here in Prague at one painter who died, he painted on the blank side of his paintings. I got it, I almost for free directly from his family during the liquidation of the estate, paradoxically, the more they appreciated the most heinous of his paintings. Thus, destroyed many of these posters. This is a true original 100% genuine, full money back guarantee, It is rough, cheap paper. Sorry for my bad English, I hope it is otherwise clear."

I followed up with him to make sure I understood what he was trying to say. He assured me that there was a painter in Prague that was using the backsides of these German propaganda and recruiting posters as canvases on which to paint. It just sounds odd to me...

I have been discussing the authenticity of this poster in greater detail elsewhere, and no one can seem to agree on whether it's original or not. With so much controversy over this piece, I don't feel that I could ever be comfortable with it in my collection. No one has reported a fake of the "blank" version of this poster yet, but I have serious doubts...

Post are arguably one of the diciest SS items around, thats the reason i rather cloth or medals because it is easier to verify their originality. Its a hard call with this one.

Like I say, go for a cheap copy and be done with it. You never need worry about originality, it'll display fine, there's no concern over light damage etc and the money saved can go towards a dagger/cap.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Like I say, go for a cheap copy and be done with it. You never need worry about originality, it'll display fine, there's no concern over light damage etc and the money saved can go towards a dagger/cap.
    Or perhaps some scatter cushions, a nice lamp and a few tasteful assorted nick nacks for the drawing room of your house......???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

*Sigh* Ned, Ned, Ned...

The same picture on a booklet for French people.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast