Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wehrpass - Awards Stamp

Article about: Does anyone recognize the small stamp in the awards section here? The awards are written into the pass in a different handwriting than I can see elsewhere from photos posted, all around the

Original Soldbuch with a replacement cover. And a good chance that he was awarded the EK II for wounds received that saw him awarded the Wound Badge in Black.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass - Awards Stamp
    P
    Many

I haven't looked properly yet, but it certainly appears to be a pic of the soldbuch's actual owner. Not just a random blokes pic added to enhance it (for more money). Stewy

Thanks hucks! I appreciate you guys always helping me out with these as I find little intricacies from time to time.

Here's what I was told about him:

Soldbuch of Leutnant Werner Korth. Soldbuch was issued on 28 August 1939. Korth served with Infanterie-Regiment 401 and Infanterie-Regiment 695. Issued a K-98 in 1942 and machine pistol in 1943. On or shortly before 1 September 1943, Korth was wounded by a shell fragment in the left calf. The wound was minor and he was classified as fit the same day. Soon thereafter, he was shot through the left elbow and was hospitalized from 17 September to 16 May 1944. Korth rose through the ranks during the war and was promoted to Leutnant (2nd Lieutenant) on 1 December 1944 after attending officer's candidate school. Korth earned the Iron Cross 2nd Class and the Wound Badge in Black. Soldbuch includes a release from service certificate (Korth was released on 7 July 1945), a travel certificate, a doctor's evaluation dated 14 November 1944 regarding Korth's wound (this wound essentially locked his left elbow and he had limited use of his left hand), and Korth's Schwerbeschädigtenausweis (Severely Disabled Identification) with photo issued to him on 10 August 1945, which was valid through 1950 (interestingly, a wartime-era ID was used and was denazified before it was issued to Korth). This is a great officer's Soldbuch that is full of entries and has several extras.

The injuries were severe enough that he never went back to the front after spending a few months in hospital and being released from the Lazarett in 1944 and hence why he has the last Ausweis.

That's essentially correct except that he was promoted to Leutnant in December 1942, not 1944.

I have to admit, I kind of cringe when I read about his elbow injury. I can only imagine that must have been quite painful. Lucky for him it wasn't fatal though.

Quote by avenger View Post
    I have to admit, I kind of cringe when I read about his elbow injury. I can only imagine that must have been quite painful. Lucky for him it wasn't fatal though.
    Strangely enough I'm with you. I don't even like my elbows being touched. Not even by me (weird)! A few doormen/bouncers have come unstuck in the past by doing that. Stewy

In regards to the awards, does the book indicate the EKII was for wounds rather than bravery, or is it likely due to the issue date of the awards being more or less the same time?

Quote by Stewy S View Post
    Strangely enough I'm with you. I don't even like my elbows being touched. Not even by me (weird)! A few doormen/bouncers have come unstuck in the past by doing that. Stewy

I feel bad now that this has turned into a Soldbuch examination thread. I guess I should have started its own post, but originally figured we'd just talk about the stamps on the photo id. My apologies to the mods, and sincere thanks to those who have posted replies.

I shouldn't worry too much. It's not like you used a image host or something. At least it's not going to disappear in a couple of months, rendering it useless. Stewy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast