Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What can you tell me about this photos of my Grand Uncle (Gebirgsjager)?

Article about: Here's pictures of my grand uncle, he served in the 13th company of the 98th Gebirgsjager. Looks like he has an Iron Cross 2nd Class and a marksmanship lanyard 2nd version. In the group phot

?

Default What can you tell me about this photos of my Grand Uncle (Gebirgsjager)?

Here's pictures of my grand uncle, he served in the 13th company of the 98th Gebirgsjager. Looks like he has an Iron Cross 2nd Class and a marksmanship lanyard 2nd version. In the group photo he is 3rd from the left. In the group shot it looks to me like he's the only one to have a shooting lanyard of his group. He served from September 1939 until his death in September 25, 1941.

Can anyone tell me more about the marksmanship lanyard or Iron Cross 2nd Class? How often were these given out. I'm curious of the circumstances as to why he would have a photo of himself in the field. Did a photographer travel with the group and just take pictures of the troops and then hand them out? Anything else interesting regarding the photos would be encouraged as well.

Here's what I know about him

Enlistment date: not listed

Dog Tag: -139 - 13 / Geb Jag. 98 Regiment (13th Mountain Infantry Regiment 98 Company)

Military unit:
    Sept. 13, 1939 as notified by the 13th Company of Mountain Infantry Regiment 98
    and on 09/20/1941 This unit was under the first Mountain Division

Application area: Sept. 39 southern Poland, Lviv,
    Oct-December 39 Eifel,
    Jan. - May 40 Eifel, Meuse,
    June 40 Aisne, Loire,
    July 40 Swiss border,
    Aug.-December 40 Arras,
    Jan. - March 41 Besancon,
    April 41 Carinthia, Yugoslavia,
    May 41 Slovakia,
    June 41-Sept Lviv; Uman

09/20/1941 at Timoschewka
    Finish: to the main aid station

09/22/1941 Army field hospital Nishnje Sserogosy / Ukraine
    Access: from the main aid station
    Outlet: 09/22/1941 relocated

09/22/1941 Field Hospital 54 Nishnje Sserogosy
    Thigh-shot fracture

deceased:
    09/25/1941 6.30 clock in a field hospital 54 Nishnje Sserogosy

on 09/25/1941 Obergefreiter
    (no promotion date)

I also found this information regarding the engagement that he was likely injured in.

The next Soviet line of defense on the advance route of the 1. Gebirgs-Division was the heavily defended anti-tank ditch near Timoschewka. On the 20th September 1941 the 1. Gebirgs-Division along with the 4. Gebirgs-Division launched their first assault against this artificial barrier. After some days of fierce combat at the anti-tank ditch it was decided that both divisions should take part in the invasion of the Crimean peninsula and that there place in the front-line at the ditch should be taken over by the 1st, 2nd and 4th Romanian Mountain Brigade. On the 24th of September 1941, after handing their foxholes and trenches over to the Romanian mountain troops, the Gebirgsjägers marched off towards the south-east, only to be hurriedly ordered back when the Soviets launched a counterattack against the Romanian sector that put the Romanians in grave danger.

The Gebirgsjägers managed to seal off the Soviet break-through and on the 29th September started their own counterattack. On 5th October, after the Russian defenders had deserted the anti-tank ditch, both Gebirgs-Divisions started the pursuit of the retreating Russian forces.

What can you tell me about this photos of my Grand Uncle (Gebirgsjager)?What can you tell me about this photos of my Grand Uncle (Gebirgsjager)?
    Last edited by Joec03; 09-28-2013 at 02:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What can you tell me about this photos of my Grand Uncle (Gebirgsjager)?
    P
    Many

The photo shows him on the first day he received his EKII. It was worn with the medal on the first day and then the medal was removed and only the ribbon was worn. It appears he was an Obergefreiter or senior corporal judging by the chevron on his left arm. The lanyard would have been something received earlier in his training period. If he received a wound badge for his actions then these photos were taken before that time. Some interesting notes on the cap: It has Steinnuss buttons rather than metal and the Edelweiss device is curiously reversed from the usual position. NH

?

Also I wanted to mention, another forum commented that he appears to have a pen in his pocket in both pictures. In the group photo he is not carrying a rifle or ammo cartridges. The other forum thought that because of this, perhaps he had a job dealing with paperwork. What do you guys think?

?

Got to say that is a really nice photo of your Grand Uncle , great piece of family history !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

did he make it to the end ?

?

No sadly he did not make it. He died a few days after being shot in the femur, when attacking an anti tank ditch. To me it doesn't seem like it would have been a fatal injury since it seems that he received treatment, but I don't know the circumstances.

?

Just received a new photo of him and his final resting place for those that are interested. The group photo he is in the middle.

Here is his casualty card.