Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

what does Hilfsreferenten mean?

Article about: what does Hilfsreferenten mean?

Default what does Hilfsreferenten mean?

what does Hilfsreferenten mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images what does Hilfsreferenten mean? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what does Hilfsreferenten mean?
    P
    Many

'Hilfsreferenten'... Literal translation is... Auxiliary speaker (Political assistant)... You should try using 'Google' translator, it really works you know!

Thanks!
    I did, but it made no sense as auxiliary speaker, did not understand what it meant.
    Your explanation is very clear, thank you again.

- - ------- - -

would this be a general term or a specific job at the FM or consulate abroad?

"Hilfs-"... means "assistant-" or "auxiliary-", but the "Referent" bit of this compound term is more difficult to explain. However, In this particular context, it does definitely not mean "speaker".

"Referent" has two meanings. One is indeed that of a speaker or lecturer. This is not a job description, but simply refers to any person giving a talk or lecture [i.e. a Referat] on something. [As in "Der Referent sprach über..." = "The lecturer talked about..."].

The other, which is the case here, is an administrative term and is used as a job description/title for someone holding a specific role/duty position. The nature of that role/duty position depends on the actual organisational structure of an agency: A Referent can be the head of a department [which can also be designated as a Referat], a (usually highly-qualified) case worker, or a sort of expert advisor. In any case, a civil servant designated as a Referent will always be an official of the elevated career [gehobener Dienst] or (usually) the high-grade career [höherer Dienst].

Allow me to remark that online translators cannot grasp context and are completely out of their depth when it comes to specialized vocabulary anyway. I can only advise against their use for anything beyond getting the general drift of a text.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 01-21-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Allow me to remark that online translators cannot grasp context and are completely out of their depth when it comes to specialized vocabulary anyway. I can only advise against their use for anything beyond getting the general drift of a text.
    A very good point Andreas and one that illustrates the essential difference between "translation" and "Interpretation".

I have some German (much better reading than speaking as one has longer to think about it!!). I find that the better understanding one has of ones' own language (just think "would you say that in English or something other?") the more likely it is that effective "interpretation" of the "translation" will be achieved. However, to me it seems best in the case of any technical compound words (how the Germans love to torture the rest of the world with these ) and matters of context to beg the assistance of a native speaker. You have not disappointed me yet

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I totally agree with Andreas concerning the use of 'google translator', although I did point out that 'Auxiliary speaker' was a literal translation of the word! I have used 'google translator' to great effect over the years when researching soldiers records and unit war diaries, but it should never be relied upon to give a correct grammatical translation from one language to another. That said... it can certainly be a useful tool when conducting research.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Andreas is right.
    It has always been my opinion that specific German words hardly can't be translated and
    surely not with the help from Google translator.

A "Referent" often was a sort of advising and supervising official, an advisor and consultant,
    who had to take care for how things proceeded. They often had specific functions.
    In some organizations it is specifically described what they had to do and taken care of/for.
    In general one can hardly explain the "routing"! I do have such order for the Hitler-Youth
    organization for the Grenz- und Auslandsreferenten and Kolonialreferenten, and it is quite
    a mouthful!

I will scan it and add it to this post. Even for Andreas it will be a hell of a job to translate it.
    So, I would advise just give eventually global descriptions:

what does Hilfsreferenten mean? what does Hilfsreferenten mean?

Abteilung AR globally means the department for foreign affairs (Auslandsarbeit).
    I thought this specific department had ten sub-departments.
    In early 1934 the HJ had five main-departments and eight departments like the AR
    (and a total of about 60 sub-departments), they formed the Reichsjugendführung.
    A department often was no more then one room in the building for the RJF!
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 01-21-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Hello Andreas (HPL2008),
    do not further make any trouble in translating the given text.
    Mr. huddyhuddy apperently is not interested to know further
    details. He even does not know to thank.......or like!