Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What medal is this man wearing?

Article about: The one next to the minesweeper, doesnt look like a wound badge to me, naval or not. Annoyed from this ads?  

Maybe a ships pilot badge?

"Civilian ship captains (pilot?) of inland waterway vessels, not a part of the Navy, wore a distinctive badge indicating the respective river of service ( Rhine, Eble, etc. ), it was worn on the lower left breast of the captain's jacket. The badge measured 55.5mm high & 40.5mm wide in the shape of an oval. Obverse bore the national eagle w/outstretched wings, Deutsches Reich over the eagle, & the river designation curved below. The outer edge had a pearl ( twisted rope ) border. The reverse bore the serial nr., & the silver content of '800'."

Taken from "The Military Advisor", by R.J. Bender publications. The article is by John R. Angolia.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What medal is this man wearing?
    P
    Many

Quote by DTVPKING View Post
    I dont think it is, IMO it looks like a man standing in it, and the wreath goes all around it not just half the way
    Look at the example in the first link specifically. (The second link with the post-war ones is just for additional info on the badge's development.)

Sorry, Ned, definitely not a pilot's duty badge. It looks different, and a military officer couldn't simultaneously serve as a ships' pilot anyway.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Look at the example in the first link specifically. (The second link with the post-war ones is just for additional info on the badge's development.)
    The links did not work for me, so i googled it. Maybe i found the wrong one while i was searching. Can you post the picture as an attachment?

The links did not work for me, so i googled it. Maybe i found the wrong one while i was searching. Can you post the picture as an attachment?
    You're right; they don't allow direct linking to images. Try this page, then click the "DLRG Plakette für Rettung aus Lebensgefahr" images (The top one is the version in question):

DLRG - Ortsgruppe Köln Rodenkirchen e.V. - Orden & Ehrenzeichen

You're right; they don't allow direct linking to images. Try this page, then click the "DLRG Plakette für Rettung aus Lebensgefahr" images (The top one is the version in question):

I say you found it! Looks like it!

I have thought the same - Black wound badge

EDIT - stand corrected as mentioned above, looks like DLRG Plakette für Rettung aus Lebensgefahr

I say you found it! Looks like it!
    Looks like it to me!....

Give the man a cigar, a perfect match and it must be a rare award if the only one they can show looks to have been dug up
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anon View Post
    Give the man a cigar, a perfect match and it must be a rare award if the only one they can show looks to have been dug up
    Must be rare indeed... I had vaguely remembered having it seen somewhere (couldn't even tell if on the internet or in a book), but had quite a hard time finding any image of this badge.

...Although I just found that a silver grade is currently on offer on German Ebay:

DLRG - Abzeichen f
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-13-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Bravo Andreas !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast