Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What picture?

Article about: Ah, I see now. In that case he has posted an excellent link with wonderful information on photos. But like I stated, sometimes items like photos need to be in hand, photos don't do the item

Default Re: What picture?

Ah, I see now. In that case he has posted an excellent link with wonderful information on photos. But like I stated, sometimes items like photos need to be in hand, photos don't do the item justice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What picture?
    P
    Many

Hey,
    Thanks for the wonderful info.
    I've contacted Bill to try and see if he could see if its a fake or not.
    I hope its real cause the 30 euro one makes me 10 euros above my spending limit.
    Thanks for your help

- Bas

Hello Bas,

I collect photographs (SS) and it takes a lot of time and companring real to reproduced to be able to distinguish real from fake, but even if you get pretty good at it, the photos on that site are very hard for me to work with and i wouldn't buy from him. I am not saying they are fake, I am saying his scans aren't exactly good enough for me to be able to tell.

the full length portrait of the panzer guy... that one bothers me. i don't know if it's the lighting in my office here because i'm getting some glare right now, but i don't like the exaggerated contrast i'm seeing between the black and lighter areas. that "burned in" appearance of the black is a red flag.

if you're interested in photos, you should PM me. I am often receiving photos free in deals I close on more expensive photos. I usually give these free photos away. If you want one or two, let me know. 1 photo, no euros. what's not to like?
    Last edited by tempelhof; 11-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.

?

Quote by Bas Jonkers View Post
    I knew he said they weren't fake, i just wanted to know how to spot fakes because i never knew there where fake pictures.
    Thanks .

- Bas
    Bas i have already told you in one of your other threads about fake photos !! As has been pointed out the two you are interested in , the photos on the site are not good enough to ascertain originality but they suggest enough that you should be cautious about them . Fake photos abound on the market so once again in this area of the hobby you have to take your time and learn what the good ones look like or you will get your euros picked out of your pocket !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The price of the PAB portrait is a bit high IMO. It is not postcard size and is not sharp/clear. The asking price I was told is 20 euro plus shipping. Normal postcard size is around 9x14cm, where this one is 7x11. After seeing this pic on the site with larger scans, my initial feeling was that it was probly okay.... but the crappy scans, questionable obverse, and the price are enough to pass on right there. There are plenty of other Panzer portraits out there that dont require a hands on inspection to make a comfortable purchase.

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Bas i have already told you in one of your other threads about fake photos !! As has been pointed out the two you are interested in , the photos on the site are not good enough to ascertain originality but they suggest enough that you should be cautious about them . Fake photos abound on the market so once again in this area of the hobby you have to take your time and learn what the good ones look like or you will get your euros picked out of your pocket !!
    Bill says the picture is good, but its priced like it was A. Hitlers cap. As you can see on the above comment.
    I won't take it after thinking some more about it.
    Thanks

- Bas

Quote by Bill T View Post
    The price of the PAB portrait is a bit high IMO. It is not postcard size and is not sharp/clear. The asking price I was told is 20 euro plus shipping. Normal postcard size is around 9x14cm, where this one is 7x11. After seeing this pic on the site with larger scans, my initial feeling was that it was probly okay.... but the crappy scans, questionable obverse, and the price are enough to pass on right there. There are plenty of other Panzer portraits out there that dont require a hands on inspection to make a comfortable purchase.
    Thanks alot man. I'll have some more look at your fake picture thread.

- Bas

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    Hello Bas,

I collect photographs (SS) and it takes a lot of time and companring real to reproduced to be able to distinguish real from fake, but even if you get pretty good at it, the photos on that site are very hard for me to work with and i wouldn't buy from him. I am not saying they are fake, I am saying his scans aren't exactly good enough for me to be able to tell.

the full length portrait of the panzer guy... that one bothers me. i don't know if it's the lighting in my office here because i'm getting some glare right now, but i don't like the exaggerated contrast i'm seeing between the black and lighter areas. that "burned in" appearance of the black is a read flag.

if you're interested in photos, you should PM me. I am often receiving photos free in deals I close on more expensive photos. I usually give these free photos away. If you want one or two, let me know. 1 photo, no euros. what's not to like?

Thanks for the advice mate.
    Do you have a thread of your pictures?
    Thanks,

- Bas

The ice is broken bout the pictures. Paul told me about the 30 euro panzer picture and i think ill take it. It has a nice Ostmedal ribbon on it. Nice clothing.
    Thanks,

- Bas

?

Hi Bas, Im not saying I'm 100% positive it was a good one....as Paul and Templehof have said, it is very hard to judge originality from these pics and without in-hand inspection. That goes for ALOT of photos for sale online. Ive stated the reasons why I would pass on this one, and glad you have chosen to.

Also like Templehof said, the only way to learn how to spot fakes is by Handling many many period examples in hand. This only comes with time/experience of buying good and even bad photos. However, its not to say that we cannot help eachother spot fakes by studying the details of period photos/etc. Feel free to check out the Photo Assistance thread, but do know it is just another tool in the toolbox that we can use to Help try and ID fakes....and may not apply to every photo you see out there! The fakers are getting good

I reccomend Buying a Blacklight, and start out with buying cheaper photos/portraits until you get a good feel for Period examples. Buy from trustworthy known sources and Have Fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast