Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

What's happening with this guy?

Article about: This is NOT my photo - I just found it online so apologies to whomever it is attributed to .... but what is the go here? Why does a Heer soldier ( an EK2 winner at that ) in France in 1940 h

Default Re: What's happening with this guy?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Would it possibly be one of the units who wore a skull traditions badge?
    I know it's usually seen on the visor cap and I know this is an SS skull but did these units ever wear such a thing on the uniform? It might be a case of making do.....
    Though, weren't the Heer men who wore non-regulation skulls usually panzertruppen?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What's happening with this guy?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Though, weren't the Heer men who wore non-regulation skulls usually panzertruppen?
    I have no idea, not something I know anything about. I'm not talking about the Heer Panzer skulls as worn on collar tabs by the Panzertruppen but the traditions badges as worn by the likes of 5th Kavallerie-Regiment for example.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I have no idea, not something I know anything about. I'm not talking about the Heer Panzer skulls as worn on collar tabs by the Panzertruppen but the traditions badges as worn by the likes of 5th Kavallerie-Regiment for example.
    Oh, I was referring to the fact that it was common for Heer panzer soldiers to put collar tab skulls on various other parts of the uniform, such as the visor cap. The father of our very own Ralph 'rbminis' wore his in this fashion.

Perhaps the man in this photo just felt like wearing it because he thought it looked cool...

?

Hmm.

I just wonder how you got away with wearing SS insignia you weren't really entitled or supposed to wear. I know SS personnel borrowed Heer insignia - Sepp Dietrich is a well known example but was it acceptable the other way round? I mean, it's not a replacement for a missing badge or anything, it's a random skull worn in a non regulation place.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

For one thing, he's carrying a Machine Pistol, so he wasn't, apparently, in a run of the mill army unit carrying a 98K Mauser. Perhaps we're looking at some sort of specialized outfit?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Regulation, smegulation - we'll never know the real story....... probably a Czech or Polish fake anyway ........
    Dan

****edit****
    Maybe I should make the smiley bigger?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Looks kind of like a budesarchiv photo.

?

Never seen one worn on a tunic like that. Cool pic.

And OB youre right, I have a few pics of Heer panzermen w/ SS skulls in wear.
    Here are a couple pics to add some spunk to my boring post.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What's happening with this guy?   What's happening with this guy?  

Last edited by Bill T; 10-17-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Wow, visor skulls on collar tabs! Very interesting.

Just to throw a theory out there. Maybe to honor his father, who could have used it in the Imperial German Army.

That hat with skull looks so out of place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3