Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wiking Letter Translation

Article about: Hello! This handwriting is awful ...and nearly unreadable even for native german speakers. Here's what I can translate: http://www.gottfriedrinker.bplaced.n...n/let1001a.jpg As for the meani

?

Default Re: Wiking Letter Translation

Hello!

This handwriting is awful ...and nearly unreadable even for native german speakers.
    Here's what I can translate: http://www.gottfriedrinker.bplaced.n...n/let1001a.jpg
    As for the meaning:
    Apparently he's writing to his mother....telling her that he's not feeling the pre-Christmas period and that he has never thought about christmas so rarely before. But since Cristmas Eve will start in week tomorrow he has to ?? (maybe something like"to state") his christmas wishes. At first, he's apologizing for the handwriting. He borrowed his quill to somebody and it was returned crooked. I can't read what really happened to this quill, sorry. This is his third christmas in the east...the first one being spent in the Caucasus, the second christmas location I can't translate and now he's sitting in a bunker. At least he's trying to decorate his bunker as best as possible. After these lines it get's extremey difficult to read and I can only guess the content. He wished he had a small plane..perhaps to fly home and visit his family for christmas.

best regards
    Lys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wiking Letter Translation
    P
    Many

?

Thanks for your efforts Lys and welcome to the forum !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Yes..thank you very much Lys. Amazing work there. Very grateful

Hello again Lysya.. can you take a look at this one? Thanks........... Tony

?

http://www.gottfriedrinker.bplaced.n...eldpost002.jpg

In the first letter I thought he was writing to his mother but I'm not so sure anymore. The first sentence is "Mein liebstes .........lein" .... "my dearest ......". The addition "lein" is used for belittlement or a term of endearment. It could be a name starting with the letter M but I can't decipher it.
    As for the meaning:
    Apparently the writer has just returned to his unit 2 days ago and they received an order for decampment shortly after that. The unit will march in an eastward direction to encounter some russians who have broken through the frontline 2 days ago. Their current position is located in a forest and they have successfully fought off the Bolsheviks. They used this opportunity and destroyed a bridgehead being occupied by the russians since spring. The frontline now runs along the Donez. His unit is supposed to be relocated back to a resting position soon. He complains about his second wrist watch being broken without any reason. He will send the watch home as an insured parcel and he hopes that it can be fixed soon. I'm missing some words in the next sentences but apparently the watch has to be returned until 28.08. or else it is to be given to Hans Bräuning (member of the SS-Sturm...... followed by an address).

Lys

Amazing work Lys. Thanks very much The writing isn't good as you said before, making your task much harder! Could the name at the start of the letter be WILTRAUT????

Tony

?

In the first letter "Wiltraut" looks good..."Mein liebstes Wiltraut-Muttilein". Do you know if his mother is named Wiltraut?
    As for the second letter.....I can absolutely see no ""i" or "t". I do believe the word starts with an M.

My source is about 30 Feldpost letters (examples in photo). I think the writer is Dr Hubert Schopper, born in Viennna, of the Wiking Division. I would say its more than likely his wife he is writing to, but I can't be totally sure.

PS: The photo comes from "German Cross In Silver - Holders Of The SS and Police" by Mark C Yerger

Great content from a Wiking officer,no less. And you have 30 of these? Wow. And excellent work by Lysa! Is like reading bits from Peter Neumann's "The Black March". You have a small treasure trove-what do you plan to do with this group? Any Idea?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast