Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WRF rights to photo's posted

Article about: I have a Question concerning photo's I've posted on this site. The Rules of this site state at all posted photographs become the property of WRF. "All postings, and photographs become t

I would think that would be greatly counter-productive in the historical sense. If someone were to find an important photo and knew the law they might want to keep the image to themselves. This of course would be the Public's loss! I did just read online that if someone were to publish photo's in a book, then they would be protected by law. Sounds retarded to me But I guess on the other hand if someone were to find the first copy of the Holy Bible and to claim copyright on it would never fly. So I guess the image is considered Public intellectual property as would the contents of the Holy Bible be considered so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WRF rights to photo's posted
    P
    Many

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    I would think that would be greatly counter-productive in the historical sense. If someone was to find an important photo and knew the law they might want to keep the image to themselves. This of course would be the Public's loss! I did just read online that if someone were to publish photo's in a book, then they would be protected by law. Sounds retarded to me But I guess on the other hand if someone were to find the first copy of the Holy Bible and to claim copyright on it would never fly. So I guess the image is considered Public intellectual property as would the contents of the Holy Bible be considered so.
    These laws have been around for a long time, it's just that we are now in the position to be affected by them. Watermark the photos you would like to keep as yours and you'll be ok. Remember when Napster was sharing music with the world? Napster was sued and lost because music is protected as an original work, much like photos. Funny what we learn while collecting militaria!!
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Crappy thing is that most photo's purchased today are from dealers who only sell the physical object without the relation of the story behind it. Thus the photo without provenance is being traded like a postage stamp. Very unfortunate. I often wonder about the people in the photo's I've bought. One photo I have is of a teenage girl about 14 years old. It was a photo for a HJ passbook. Unfortunately her story is lost to the ages unless by chance her image was to be seen be a family member online. Tragic!

WRF rights to photo's posted

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    These laws have been around for a long time, it's just that we are now in the position to be affected by them. Watermark the photos you would like to keep as yours and you'll be ok. Remember when Napster was sharing music with the world? Napster was sued and lost because music is protected as an original work, much like photos. Funny what we learn while collecting militaria!!
    Thanks Greenhorn for your help! Unfortunately if you do not watermark over the image, and do it well, the image can be manipulated by the thief. If you look at the work of people who restore photo's professionally you'll see they can recreate portions of photo that are missing and/or damaged and they do an amazing job. The same technique can be applied to watermarks. And I personally find that watermarks take away from the images impact on the mind. They are like trying to enjoy the sight of a beautiful woman with dirty eyeglasses! Very disappointing lol...

?

I have photo's that were taken by the grand father of a friend. He passed away and the photo's are now mine. These are of intelligence photos of post artillery barrages taken during WW1. These are one of a kind photo's. I would like to know how to watermark these before posting them? If anybody could give me some info about this subject, I would appreciate any help in the matter.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I have photo's that were taken by the grand father of a friend. He passed away and the photo's are now mine. These are of intelligence photos of post artillery barrages taken during WW1. These are one of a kind photo's. I would like to know how to watermark these before posting them? If anybody could give me some info about this subject, I would appreciate any help in the matter.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Phil, there are several ways. You can get a free watermarking program online and some will cost you a few bucks. Photoshop has the capability also. There may be a way to Copy Protect images also but I haven't looked into that too much.

Phil, simply search 'watermarking photos' in Google and you'll find plenty.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

And if you need a tutorial on watermarking you can find some on Youtube.

Quote by AZPhil View Post

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Greetings Phil,

I broke down and spent $29 bucks for the uMark program, uMark - Photo Watermark Software It is a very simple program and it allows you to tile and cascade over an image for full coverage. For what it's worth (what I have noticed) the same folks who complain about watermarks appearing on photos are the exact same ones who were "borrowing" my images (off of eBay). Now, I no longer care if someone uses my photos, because there's little doubt where they have originated from. If you tile and cascade for complete coverage of the image, it is very annoying to correct for and most folks who choose to "borrow" your photos won't possess the patience to take the time to edit the photos once watermarked via the tiled & cascaded method. The program also provides (through a slider-bar) the ability to adjust the transparency of your watermark so you may allow just enough visibility of your subject, yet enough to annoy quick unfettered reproduction. Nothing is foolproof, but it's better than the weak squiggly line some folks use to mark their photos with.

Good Luck!

Lance

?

Thank You Gent's I will check out all the sources given and when I'm done these pic's will be posted on this great site!

Semper Fi
    Phil

The thing I do with photos, is to take a digital pic of the
    photo itself. The images are nowhere near reproduction
    quality, and so wouldn't likely get copied..........

( None of the pics I have are of great
    importance anyhow )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WRF rights to photo's posted   WRF rights to photo's posted  

Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast