Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp.

Article about: I know there are a lot of fake stamps out there but picked this up a while back. It looks legit to me. WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp. For 26th Panzer Division, 93rd Artillary Regimen

MAP
    ?

Default WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp.

I know there are a lot of fake stamps out there but picked this up a while back. It looks legit to me.

For 26th Panzer Division, 93rd Artillary Regiment, 2nd Abteilung (Battallion).

The 26th Panzer Division was formed on 9/14/42 in France from the 23rd Infantry Division. Surrendered to Allies 5/9/45

Stamp is metal with traces of red ink in the wood grain. Nice patina overall.

What sold me on taking a chance on this was the head of the nail that was slighly protruding from the handle. Under a 40x loop you can see the real age of the nail tip. Just under the surface of the wood there is very old oxidation/corrosion to the nail but the tiny tip sticking beyond the wood is smooth (from fingers rubbing against it?).

However would like all your expert opinions....also, were metal stamps for ink or wax? Or either?

Regards,

Michael

WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp.WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp.WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp.WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII German Panzer Document/Wax Stamp.
    P
    Many

Map: I am not an authority on these things, but the face of the stamp looks good to me. Everything seems sharp and there are no obvious problems with it. Is the photo of the stamped seal one that you made with the stamp? It certainly looks authentic. Dwight

MAP
    ?

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Map: I am not an authority on these things, but the face of the stamp looks good to me. Everything seems sharp and there are no obvious problems with it. Is the photo of the stamped seal one that you made with the stamp? It certainly looks authentic. Dwight
    Dwight: Thanks! Yes, I made the stamping today......had to dig through the kids school box to find an ink pad (and one that was not dry).

It's really sharp and has nice detail to the stamping. Here a betting close up of the stamp head. See the oxidation of the nail heads. With a 40x you can even seem more and the punch marks to drive the nails in. Looks good to me (hopefully).

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

certainly not like the polish fakes.

Harryamb2 is correct. I had one of the Polish fakes and it does not look like this. looking at the construction , quality of stamp and wear , IMO ...... legit

MAP
    ?

Quote by krabbekrout View Post
    Harryamb2 is correct. I had one of the Polish fakes and it does not look like this. looking at the construction , quality of stamp and wear , IMO ...... legit
    Sweeeettt!!! I knew it was a gamble but it was the nail head with the oxidation that made me roll the dice on this. Plus everything I've bought from this dealer has always proved to be 100% legit.

Thanks!

I like the look of it.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Several forms of the "Polish fake" ink stamps are on the market - some of which have been for decades. This however, is not one of them. Period ink stamps come in many various forms, several of which are accurately reproduced by those who aim to deceive.

I wonder why nails or tacks were used and not screws? After while I would expect the nails to loosen in the wooden handle with continual use whereas screws offer a more secure fixing and less prone to splitting along the wood grain than driving in nails with a hammer.

Not intended as a judgement on the authenticity of the satmp as I know nothing about them.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

StefanM: Good question. It is possible that the stamp plate itself is authentic but has been attached to a non-regulation handle using nails instead of screws. Like you, I know nothing about official stamps, but the plate on this one still looks good to me on the basis of sharpness and everything looking correct. But as Carl88 said, "Period ink stamps come in many various forms, several of which are accurately reproduced by those who aim to deceive." On the other hand, maybe the nails are the original attachment method. Dwight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast