Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

British Pattern 58 Webbing

Article about: Here's my basic set, crap shots, can't make out most of the dates/mfg makers but I can make out one WW2 manufacturer! Never really played with each individual item as they've always been ass

You missed out on a business opportunity there mate, send it South. From what I've noticed from Army Surplus shops in the deep South, it does sell, eventually. Hunters quite like it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British Pattern 58 Webbing
    P
    Many

I will try and get some pics of my 58 webbing sets, this for now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Pattern 58 Webbing  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Only item of P58 I have is the holster for the Browning HP35-essentially the WW2 webbing 2nd pattern 'breakaway' type but in OD cotton duck.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    You missed out on a business opportunity there mate, send it South. From what I've noticed from Army Surplus shops in the deep South, it does sell, eventually. Hunters quite like it.
    Thought about it long and hard but the numbers didn't make it worthwhile. I agree any of this kit whatever the era is best displayed on a mannequin as shown by Jerrys excellent rendition. Forever hoping that it might one day become collectable but the UK is awash with the stuff!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Thought about it long and hard but the numbers didn't make it worthwhile. I agree any of this kit whatever the era is best displayed on a mannequin as shown by Jerrys excellent rendition. Forever hoping that it might one day become collectable but the UK is awash with the stuff!
    There is some interest as the Falklands War is becoming increasingly collectible.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

68 pattern dpms!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    68 pattern dpms!
    1st yes 2nd & 3rd '84/85 patt

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    That's a great set Rene though I think I have said that before

The'68 patt DPM was very high quality compared to what followed and even though the MTP kit is far better than the late DPM patterns for my money it still doesn't beat the '68 if you allow for modern textiles and techniques.

It always puts a wry smile on my face when I see the '68 DPM hood actually fitted as such. I don't think I ever saw it used for the purpose it was intended (apart from by the odd "REMF" much to the disdain of all around him ). For the most part if you even thought about wearing it as a hood you would be in a world of s**t and it was generally forbidden.
    It was so uncool in one respect because it was considered sloppy and unsoldier-like. The main reason was that it impaired hearing and lateral vision in the field. True, but so does frostbite and if there is no immediate danger of a contact then why not? Old habits I guess.

Gloves had the same stigma attached for a long time in all but arctic weather! I once melted a green knitted glove to the hot barrell of a GPMG but that is a different story (and a lesson learned)

No, there were far better uses for the hood such as; helmet or shovel cover, mess tin wrap etc. I suppose this is why it was deleted from later patterns. The logic being "if the troops don't use why waste money on it?"

Also, it was very unusual to find a hood and jacket in matching shades of the DPM. Many hoods tended to be generally lighter.
    I was always reluctant to butcher anything even if I didn't use it for the purpose intended. I still have my hood somewhere, I'll dig it out.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast