Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

199th Infantry Brigade Skull Patch "Death Before Dishonor"

Article about: Hello War Relics Members, I recently acquired a pocket patch with the motto, "Death Before Dishonor" on it. It was listed for sale as being from the U.S. Special Forces / Green Ber

Dos
    ?

Default 199th Infantry Brigade Skull Patch "Death Before Dishonor"

Hello War Relics Members,

I recently acquired a pocket patch with the motto, "Death Before Dishonor" on it. It was listed for sale as being from the U.S. Special Forces / Green Berets. Fairly soon i found out that it had nothing to do with this part of the US Military. It was worn in Vietnam by Company D, 5th Battalion, 12th Infantry, 199th Infantry Brigade and probably other units within this brigade wore it as well. The patch was nothing official, but not uncommon to see. Here are some pictures of the patch. It is worn and rather crudely made in my opinion, But had some thumbs up for it being authentic.

It is being described in Cecil Smyth's Vietnam US Army Combat Unit Insignia volume 1. Credits to Bob Chatt from VintageProductions for this reference picture:

Is there anyone that has a similar patch in his possesion that is willing to show it here? There seem to be a few different variants made at the time.

Any opinions or additional information is also welcome!

Cheers,

Dos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 199th Infantry Brigade Skull Patch "Death Before Dishonor"
    P
    Many

?

Hello, take a look

//www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/248826-death-before-dishonor-pocket-patch/

Dos
    ?

Quote by Decima View Post
    Hello, take a look

//www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/248826-death-before-dishonor-pocket-patch/
    Thanks Decima, I posted a topic on that forum to have it checked out since this has a more WOI en WOII based community. I got that link sugested by one of the members there, its so far the only comparable patch i've seen online.

?

I like it . Nice piece
    Cheers Rick

Dos
    ?

Quote by Rick W View Post
    I like it . Nice piece
    Cheers Rick
    Thanks Rick, Glad you like it.

Here below we can see a similar looking patch still on the uniform. It was worn by a member of Echo Company Recon platoon, 2-3rd Infantry, 199th LIB.

The command post of this unit had a sign above the door with also the motto "Death Before Dishonor".

Cheers,

Dos