Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Modified M16A1s

Article about: In Vietnam, some US and ARVN troops found the 20 round magazine of their M16A1 lacking in capacity. And while 30 round magazines were distributed to some units (particularly SF forces) in th

Default Modified M16A1s

In Vietnam, some US and ARVN troops found the 20 round magazine of their M16A1 lacking in capacity. And while 30 round magazines were distributed to some units (particularly SF forces) in the latter stages of the war, and if I recall correctly, were available for purchase in a PX, some chose a different route. AK magazines would be taken from enemy supply dumps or dead, and modified to accept 5.56, as was the M16A1 modified to accept the magazine. I am hoping to start a thread showing pictures and/or examples of these modified M16A1s, as well as any other modification that may be of interest.

Modified M16A1s

I will expand on this thread whenever I get the chance or find something.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Modified M16A1s
    P
    Many

Can't find any caption for this photo.. Looks to be ARVN.

Modified M16A1s

CAR15 with AK magazine. Again, can't find any caption. SF or maybe a Squad Leader?

Modified M16A1s

A field modified M16A1 with M3 bipod

Modified M16A1s

The CAR-15 shown has a welded up magazine made of maybe 20 rounders welded up, or some field fabricated body that used other M-16 magazines. The M-16/CAR-15 will not accept Kalashnikov magazines without significant modifications. Of course, that is exclusive of the modern generation of AR-15 rifles purpose built to accept Kalashnikov magazines and drums.

Some troops however made hybrid magazines. They would use the bottom of a Kalashnikov magazine, welded to the top of a USGI 20 round M-16 magazine. This was mostly an ARVN adaptation.

There were commercially available 30 round magazines in the late '60s and some SF units had them sent from the states.

Picture 2 in post 2 the Magazine is a USN experimental 50 rd
    there were also commercially available 40 rd used by MACV-SOG again sent from the states