Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969

Article about: A 2nd pattern OG-107 cotton poplin ripstop tunic manufactured 1969 and used by a soldier in the 25th Infantry Division, subdued patch (of the famous "Tropic Lightning") and subdued

Default "Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969

A 2nd pattern OG-107 cotton poplin ripstop tunic manufactured 1969 and used by a soldier in the 25th Infantry Division, subdued patch (of the famous "Tropic Lightning") and subdued synthetic name and US Army title.
    The 25th Infantry Division had long service in Vietnam being withdrawn to their Hawaii base in two stages in 1970 and finally in May 1971.

"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969
    P
    Many

?

Nice combat tunic, love that patch !

Hi Anderson

Me thinks the patch in the image is a First pattern Twill subdued c 1966-67 that were government contracted and were the first type of subdued issued before merrow edge SSI were issued

Nice 2nd pattern OG-107 pattern combat jacket.

Phill

I have this unifrorm removed Tropic Lightning patch and "Manchu"
    rocker. If I remember the history correctly, the guy was in the 4thBn.9th Inf.
    assigned to the 25th inf in VN 1966
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969  
    Attached Images Attached Images "Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I've sealed the tunic up in a box again so relying on memory, but I'm fairly sure the Tropic Lightning patch was not like the cotton twill background as seen in Greg & Phil's photo. What did the "second type" look like?

Hi Anderson

Merrowed edge is the second Type.

Coloured ME SI started c1966-67 as units were rotated into Vietnam and Subdued later 1969-70 onwards.

Thanks for showing Greg,one author puts first pattern Twill as late as 1968-70, however ASMIC James McDuff had researched back in the 80's and 1966 was the first government contracted SSI.

Below is a 78 page BW with a section on FPT with excellent reference.

Phill

Not being a patch collector the "merrowed edge" is unfamiliar terminology. But what I did notice in my example was the patch black edge came right around the edge, and the green fabric edge was not visible as seen in your's and Greg's examples. You can see that in the second photo of post #1. So am I correct in believing this would be "second type"?
    I always believed the jacket represented an early 1970's example.

Hi Anderson

Forgot to add your Combat Jacket is 3rd pattern no shoulder loops , no side waste tabs and buttons underneath the pocket flaps.
    Yes that is what is termed merrow edge that was added to the patch to stop it from fraying.

I don't have a Vietnam/early 1970's 25th ID subdued merrow edge SSI, below is a 1980's onwards, very similar.

Phill

I don't know if its just me , something wrong with the patch on the jacket but.....

Phill

Might be just you. It does look like the example you post in #8. I'll open the box again one day and post a close up photo. I've had this jacket for a very long time.

There seems to be a lot of variation with these SSI, for those interested take a look on this website;

Army Vietnam to 1975
    Last edited by Anderson; 12-11-2019 at 04:54 AM. Reason: extra info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast