Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969

Article about: A 2nd pattern OG-107 cotton poplin ripstop tunic manufactured 1969 and used by a soldier in the 25th Infantry Division, subdued patch (of the famous "Tropic Lightning") and subdued

Been back to the storage shed so I took the opportunity to re-photograph the patches as there was some debate as to authenticity. What do we reckon guys? I bought the tunic as seen now (with patches in place) in the 1990's for around $NZ 20.

"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969"Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "Tropic Lightning" OG-107 Cotton combat tunic 1969
    P
    Many

Thanks Anderson

Looks all good from the new images and the sewing stitches.

Phill

Hey Anderson for me it's all good, but I'm no expert on patches

Hi René

Yours is okay note the stitching around the edge .

Would be good to see the full jacket.

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi René

Yours is okay note the stitching around the edge .

Would be good to see the full jacket.

Phill
    Cheers Phill, I did post it here-

Coat Man's Cotton Wind Resistant Rip Stop Poplin Olive Green Army Shade 107 '69

So can anyone confirm the likely date this tunic issued to "Morton" of the 25th Infantry Division? The tunic was manufactured in 1969, but are the synthetic name and U.S.Army patches early 1970's or late '70s? I'm rather interested in knowing if it was issued before the 25th departed from Vietnam in May 1971.

After re looking at this has me perplexed.

The name tapes and US Army Distinguishing tapes wear had a mixed and misinterpreted use during the war.

Regulations were "parallel to the ground" ie straight across , however with the slanted pockets , posed a dilemma (skill set combat badges and visibility) this was open to interpretation ie along the slanted pocket line.

1968 USARV authorized and reinforced "parallel to the ground" but in 1969 DA authorized world wide and reversed it to "Parallel to the slants of the pockets" ie along the pocket line.

Why do I mention this is because your jacket is the third pattern design jacket c 1969/70 and he is wearing it "parallel to the ground" ie 1968 against DA orders.

You also have 2 different types of stamped tapes , MORTON stenciled and US Army Stamped Block type.

We also know the bulk of the 25th departed Vietnam 1970, leaving 2d Bde 25th ID (Sep) final departure 1971.

There is a story here but I don't know what.

Here are some questions:

Where is a FWTS SSI?

If individual was assigned post 25ID Vietnam war and was stationed in Hawaii would understand but see below.

Why is the tapes parallel to the ground when they should be along the slanted pocket as per 1969 DA order?

Why the use of 2 types of Tape , stenciled and stamped blocked , early period understand 1969 1970 normal tapes should of been issued and or theatre made.

Anyway interesting more discussion to be had.

Phill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2