Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

XM1777 Field Expedient Sling

Article about: I have had this strange sling for a long time, I belive it was used on the Colt XM177 short rifle during the Vietnam war.

?

Default XM1777 Field Expedient Sling

I have had this strange sling for a long time, I belive it was used on the Colt XM177 short rifle during the Vietnam war.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement XM1777 Field Expedient Sling
    P
    Many

Greetings,

The sling is made from a General Purpose (a.k.a. "GP") Strap. They were standard issue with all two quart collapsible canteens from the late 1960s well into the 1980s (in both cotton duck & then, nylon variants). The metal hooks on each end could be broken off, add some 550 nylon "para" cords' loops and viola you have a field expedient sling. Many times coat hanger sections and similar metal tubing would be used (in lieu of 550 cord) on the front sight's attaching point as with relatively little firing that part will heat up and melt a 550 cord's loop. Not a good thing when in the middle of a firefight

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Quote by MilitariaOne View Post
    Greetings,

The sling is made from a General Purpose (a.k.a. "GP") Strap. They were standard issue with all two quart collapsible canteens from the late 1960s well into the 1980s (in both cotton duck & then, nylon variants). The metal hooks on each end could be broken off, add some 550 nylon "para" cords' loops and viola you have a field expedient sling. Many times coat hanger sections and similar metal tubing would be used (in lieu of 550 cord) on the front sight's attaching point as with relatively little firing that part will heat up and melt a 550 cord's loop. Not a good thing when in the middle of a firefight

Best,

V/r Lance
    Lance thanks for the explanation