Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays

Article about: I have to admit, when the German Military was not shooting up the countryside and running tanks over everything, the guys could be quite civilized. There was little they loved better than a

Default 2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays

I have to admit, when the German Military was not shooting up the countryside and running tanks over everything, the guys could be quite civilized. There was little they loved better than a good smoke and a decent drink, and to this extent, they made some really interesting trench art bits in their spare time. I found these 2 shell case ashtrays while rooting about in one of the boxes stacked in an upstairs room that I hadn't looked in for awhile, and thought it might be of interest to post them here and show a couple of the variations they made. The 1st one was dug(obviously) from out of an SS TK bunker and while quite crudely made, it is inscribed "Russland 1941-2" on the one edge. It's made of some sort of brass, but I have no clue as to what it is off of. Happy memories, before the tide turned the next year, I guess. The 2nd one below is incredibly heavy-look at the thick wall of the shell case. Interestingly enough, it is made from a German WWI shell case. They must have had a few left over from the 1st time around... The cigarette holders are nicely soldered to it and are Russian 15 Rubles from the 1930's era. Engraved on it's side is "Errinnerung Russland", or basically "Souvenir of Russia". It makes for a surprisingly practical ashtray, but I would probably stick some felt on the bottom, if I would use it. Sadly, I have no history on it, other than it being purchased from a family in Germany. Did either ever have tips to the bullet casings? Some did-some didn't. It's likely that they did many years ago, though, but are both long lost to time since.

2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays
    P
    Many

Here's a similar item, but this one was made in Jersey, Channel Islands. Made from an 88 and a 2cm case.
    All the best from Jersey,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays   2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays  

2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays   2 Russian Front Shellcase Ashtrays  

A candle stick! Very nice!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I like trench art.
    The ingenuity of men in difficult circumstances and the satisfaction of creating something.