Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Bayonet with trench art

Article about: This was given to me by my father. He got it from his childhood friend who's father volunterred for the schalburg corps. He went to fight the russians up north. I don't know much more as nei

dave34
    ?

Default Bayonet with trench art

This was given to me by my father.
    He got it from his childhood friend who's father volunterred for the schalburg corps.
    He went to fight the russians up north.
    I don't know much more as neither he nor his family ever wanted to talk about it.
    We just learned that the man in question suffered and died from a heart attack back in the mid 80'ties.

I have name and such but as both he and the relatives where so ashamed i won't even bother to seek them out..thou it's tempting to give it a try

The swasticka he made by embedding some brighter wood (matches mabe) into the handle!
    Really "tight" done with a nice fit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bayonet with trench art   Bayonet with trench art  

Bayonet with trench art  

2. # ADS

Default re: Bayonet with trench art

Dave

That looks like a German made or modified Czech vz 24 bayonet.

Does it have any markings ?

Regards

Richie

dave34
    ?

Hi Richie

Only markings i can find is a z in a double circle.
    Have to admit i havent looked further in2 it myself as i "just" added it to my collection when he gave it to me.

No matter what it turns out to be it was a good deal, my dad remembers, as he swapped with a cheap and pretty ordinary fishing knife.

Parts are well made, fits tight good material from my judgement

dave34
    ?

not sure if it's ageing or "random" wearmarks but it could look like somthing was ground/filed off the top of the pommel...
    Will buy better cam i near future as old 1 broke and i've only got the cam in my older cellphone (no wonder everything is old when havin a hobby like this:-)

Any info on this bayos origins greatly appreciated

?

Dave - no matter what the Bayo turns out to be its a great remembrance item with history to go with it -

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

dave34
    ?

Sure is Horst

I'm also happy with it.
    Actually just today my father told a little more about this guy...and gave me the name of his son who he's sure wont mind if i call him and ask...My father is certain there where other pieces brought back from Finland and that the son got i all.

I'll update when i've talked to him :-)

?

Dave - sounds good, make sure to document all this info and relate it to the Bayo and any other items you may get from this source.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Default Re: Bayonet with trench art

Dave

This is a Czech bayonet model vz24. The Z in a circle indicates Czech manufacture made for export.

It fitted onto a Mauser rifle which was fairly similar to the German Kar98k.

When the Germans invaded Czechoslovakia in 1938 (I think) they captured a lot of military equipment and the factories that made them.

Originally the bayonet would have had a muzzle ring but the Germans removed them from the bayonets they captured.

They also continued to make the bayonet in the Czech factories but without the muzzle ring.

If you scroll down on this page you will see other examples of the vz24.

Knife Bayonets Eastern Europe

Regards

Richie

dave34
    ?

Default Re: Bayonet with trench art

Hi Richie

Apreciate the info

My dad thinks he remembers the guy joining the Freikorps Dänemark in 41 so that fits the fact that the germans used supplies they got from cz back in the 38-39.

Cheers dave34