Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German POW art

Article about: Picked this up at an estate sale a few months ago. The son said his Dad was a guard at a POW camp during the war. Wonder if any of you guys might be able to identify the boat by the 2 crests

?

Default German POW art

Picked this up at an estate sale a few months ago. The son said his Dad was a guard at a POW camp during the war. Wonder if any of you guys might be able to identify the boat by the 2 crests on top. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German POW art  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German POW art
    P
    Many

Default Re: German POW art

A nice piece , cheers Raymond

That's a lovely piece you've got there could you post a couple of close up pictures of the emblems to help identify it.
    Cheers for posting.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

?

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate them. Here are a couple of pictures of the crests. As far as I can make out, the bull crest says,"7.U. FLOTTHIE, PRIEN, ST NAZAIRE", and the boar crest reads, "U. W UDSAU". That's to the best of my ability. Thanks for any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German POW art   German POW art  

Hi Dixie,

I've been watching this thread from the start, but did not post because i couldn't reconcile some differences. The better photo's have spurred me on to reply.

Firstly, the left hand shield represents,as it shows, the 7th flotilla based at St. Nazaire. Their emblem was the 'snorting bull' as used by Gunther Prien during his attack on Scapa Flow at the begining of the war.

The right hand shield represents the U-boats personal emblem...This is where i had a problem. The only boat i could find with a pig as it's emblem was U-672 which sported 'The laughing pig'(strangely my nick name for the sister-in-law.) But it was part of 6th flotilla also at St.Nazaire. Your close up photo reads 'wild sau' or, wild pig. This may be an un-recorded emblem.

Shame really as i'd dug up a load of good intel on '672. Anyway, i'll post the two emblems here for comparison only.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images German POW art  German POW art 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I found a few with pig emblems, U-19, U-85,U-1201,U-3010, they all look a bit different from the POW art.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by big ned View Post
    ... 'The laughing pig'(strangely my nick name for the sister-in-law.)...
    Classic Ned, I've a sister-in-law who is colloquially known as "The Bush Pig"

Great information about the emblems though, well done

Cheers,

Grant

Hi Zwerge,

That's some good gen, thanks i'll hang on to it!! Unfortunately, i have to agree, non are quite right for this boat.

Hi Grant!!

Amazing ain't it??? They get bloody everywhere!!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks for the replies,the son said his dad was a guard in New Jersey. Again thanks

Finally got the table saw out. Case is cut out and dry fit. Mortise and tenon joints..., on to finish and assembly...., brass plate and some accoutrements.