Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German POW JEEP carving

Article about: Really great piece of POW art.

?

Default German POW JEEP carving

Hi fellow collectors,

I have been meaning to post a few pics of this as it has some personal relation to my family. I had my father over to my home for a couple of days and he saw my growing collection of SS items and asked "Where are the U.S. items?" My uncle has collected militaria for many years, mainly American Civil War items but as far as my father and he knew, my uncle was the only family member interested in such things. It was not long before my father presented me with a few items including an M1 Garand and this wood carved Jeep. The story as it was told to me, in short, is that my great uncle was assigned to a POW camp and one of the German soldiers being held there carved this out of items found in the camp. I don't know really if he befriended my great uncle or this was offered in trade for something but the soldier gave it to him. It is a pretty nice job, all made of wood, some cloth, and a bit of scrap metal. Its painted by hand, presumably with extra paint from the motor pool. Of note, "Edie" was the name of my Great Uncle's wife.

I have asked for more information about him and where he was stationed and will update the thread once I know.

Thanks for looking,

CMH

German POW JEEP carvingGerman POW JEEP carvingGerman POW JEEP carvingGerman POW JEEP carving
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German POW JEEP carving  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German POW JEEP carving
    P
    Many

Default Re: German POW JEEP carving

that looks really good can i just ask what the windshield is made of. thanks for sharing

tom

?

Hi Tom,

I'm not really sure. It looks like it is a piece of plastic that now appears aged, folded over and a "frame" painted in. The wheels are carved of wood as well and they are fairly detailed. I guess the fellow had some time on his hands.

Regards,

CMH

very nice

Being a Jeep owner I really like that.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

ade you have a jeep come on get showing

tom

Hi Tom, I have shown a few pics in the past, but I will write a new thread about it.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: now done, please see here:

My Jeep and it's history
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Just a quick update...

I had a chance over the weekend to visit with my grandmother, the sister of the fellow in the following picture- my great uncle, who was given the carved jeep by the German POW. As I understand it, he was with the medical core (as evidenced by his collar brass) and was a bit of a discipline problem throughout his service. He would earn a promotion just to be busted down in rank for one thing or another. The Jeep was given to him at a POW camp in France towards the end of the war. The details were sketchy at best, grandmother is 97 years old but still fun to talk with and has a fairly sharp memory given her age. The markings on the Jeep are likely taken from an example in the camp and perhaps that would give a better idea as to the location. She loved her brother and had many fun stories of him hunting and enjoying family life. Thanks for viewing, I guess not too much more information I can pass along.

German POW JEEP carving

Regards,

CMH

?

CMH _ a nice piece of history and family history - a real keeper. Thanks for showing and providing the history.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Nice little item that jeep

Your great uncle looks a little like Adolf Galland

German POW JEEP carving

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast