Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2

Article about: I also like to collect trench art and have some schnapsglasses made of 20mm German Flak shells. But does anyone has a period photo these glasses are in use? I have not ever seen a single one

Thanks for the vote of confidence William, although I tend to lean on the side of originality I always have one eyebrow raised in suspicion as you can just never know for sure can you?

I also bought a few goodies off that seller 'Stalingrad34777'?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    P
    Many

With trench art, it's pretty much a leap of faith. If you know and trust the seller, you're usually okey. Test the waters and find a dependable seller with integrity and stick with them. I've seen alot of stuff from sellers that are strangers that were Tempting, but then you take a chance. Sometimes Good...sometimes Not so good! That particular seller has always been pretty steady. Not a fast Shipper, by Any stretch of the imagination, but when it finally Does arrive, it's as described.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default A Rarely Seen SS Trench Art Shotglass

A recent addition of a fairly rarely seen shotglass. Recovered in Hungary, this one is marked with SS Runes-the 1st I've seen, despite many of the pieces I have being recovered from SS positions. If I am reading the markings right(they are difficult to make out some of them) it is dated 1944 and has a large TK symbol on one side, along with what Looks to be a small 9 and possibly a small "k" but it's almost totally obliterated by time and I managed to get That much only with a 20 power loupe. 9th Kompanie Totenkopfs? The TK's did come from Russia and Poland down to dance in the mess in Hungary, so perhaps one of them brought along his shotglass only to be killed outside of Budapest? Who knows? It is certainly unique, in any case, and from the looks of the heavy patina layering, absolutely genuine. One wonders what was last drank from it before the poor slob doing it got planted Himself...

German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    William

A Mystery inscription shotglass that was dug in Kurland. On it, there is a "W" on a line over a "Z" and to the right is "42/10". Usually, I can read the engravings enough to make sense of them on these, but this one is a mystery. Any ideas on what it could be? The numbers are, I assume, a Date for October of 1942, but what could the W over the Z be for?

German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    Last edited by Wagriff; 06-23-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    William

Update: According to a 1943 book I found published by the US Military Intelligence Service titled “German Military Abbreviations” , “WZ” could possibly stand for “Wetterzug” or Meteorlogical Platoon
    or “Zentralabteilung des Oberkommando der Wehrmacht” or “Central Section of Armed Forces High Command”. Do either of these sound right?
    William

Default Kiestinki Shotglass

An odd day.....got a few more shotglasses in of late. Getting harder and harder to find good ones. These 3 glasses were found in Northern Russia in SS positions as well as foreign volunteers. The 1st one is difficult to read, but it has "Kiestinki" on it and a small swastika. I have not cleaned any of them aside from a superficial rinsing off. The "blue" on the 2nd and 3rd pieces is actual green oxidation of the brass casing, but shows bluish in the flash of the camera. In hand, it is a rich green, of course.

William

The 2nd one in the lot has a nice Edelweiss and a tree branch and beneath it is inscribed "Sohjana"-a fairly small village in Northern Russia. One wonders what happened there to the soldier to make him want to commemorate the occasion.

Attached Images Attached Images German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2 
    William

The last one of the group is an interesting mystery piece. It is inscribed with a Shield bearing the date Jul 1943 and on the left of the shield is a pine branch and to the right of the shield is a nicely engraved Bell-complete with clapper and hanger. If the symbols have any particular meaning-and I imagine that they do-I have no clue on them!

German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    Last edited by Wagriff; 10-11-2015 at 09:04 AM.
    William

Jul means Christmas in Swedish and Norwegian!

With a little help from my imagination I can see a scandinavian SS-volunteer in front of me.

Where was it found? Very interesting!

It was dug from up in Karelia, so it is quite likely that it Was made by a foreign SS volunteer. I had not thought of the Christmas angle! Excellent suggestion! That would explain perfectly the pine tree branch and the bell!
    William

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast