Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2

Article about: I also like to collect trench art and have some schnapsglasses made of 20mm German Flak shells. But does anyone has a period photo these glasses are in use? I have not ever seen a single one

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It was dug from up in Karelia, so it is quite likely that it Was made by a foreign SS volunteer. I had not thought of the Christmas angle! Excellent suggestion! That would explain perfectly the pine tree branch and the bell!
    Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way
    This item make my imagination go nuts. Really cool!

I'm happy that it finally got a owner again who appreciate it after all those years in the ground!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    P
    Many

?

William- Great collection with lots of individual history with each piece.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Don't forget to show if you come across some new item

Hello Kenny!, Sadly, I haven't found anything new in quite awhile now. The fakers have finally noticed these fascinating little glasses and are cranking them out by the car loads now, so it's a difficult thing to spot a Good one in all the junk-but I keep my contacts searching for me all the time nonetheless! The collection has taken many years to assemble and I don't know if it would even be possible to do so in today's hobby market. At one time, they were fairly common and reasonably priced but no such luck today if a person comes across one. Thankfully, the fakers haven't gotten them down very good yet but it's only a matter of time, I suppose. That's the trouble with trench art-it's undated! With acids, burning, and burials, it's getting easier to age things better, so the challenge is to tell the difference!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default 19th Latvian SS

I came across this odd piece abit ago in the inventory of a guy in Latvia. As usual, his stuff had alot of junk,alot of fakes, and a handful of genuine pieces. This little flare gun cartridge was dug in Kurland and is marked from the 19th Latvian SS. It was fairly cheap in price, so I took a flyer on it and picked it up. I examined it under a good light and a 20 power Bausch and Lomb loupe and the patina in the lettering and design looks fine. Very well made. The previous owner over polished it, but comparing it to many known original pieces, this one looks to have no problems.

German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    Last edited by Wagriff; 05-21-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    William

Wow what a wonderful lot of trench art. I have a few examples of artillery shells that I have stashed away that I never show. These examples are wonderful.

Thanks
    Burt

Take note also,the title is "Part 2"! The other thread on the rest of the glasses in the collection is here: German Shotglasses...and lots Of them!
    William

Thank you for the link to your first thread, I've actually missed that one. Great items who make you wonder what happened to the original owners..but we can assume that they never got home to meet their family again.

Default What Used To Be A Nice Trenchart Shotglass

I picked this poor little glass up recently for the heck of it and thought that I would post it here to show you what these glasses Usually look like when they are found. It will give you an idea of how many pieces are rejected before a Good one is selected. There's no engraving on this one, but most generally don't have any. This one came from-where else-a "bunker in Stalingrad". You can see it's suffered more than abit from shrapnel damage. A good clue as to what living conditions there must have been like. It Was nicely made(note the well shaped bottom), but ended up buried probably along with its maker and his buddies in the frozen mud of Stalingrad. You wonder what and when was the last drink taken from it.

German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    William

Default Another Interesting Latvian Found Item

I recently found this little glass amongst the selection of dug up junk from a Latvian digger. It was found by a metal detector and was unusually well made-but not so much as to look like your average Latvian fakes, so I decided to take a chance on it and picked it up. When it came in, I went over it with a fine tooth comb and was pleased with it, so I decided to keep it. It has abit of battlefield damage to it and I'm currently mulling having it tweeked up about by a restorationist that I know, but for now, here it is. Mysteriously, it carries a Date on it-March 2,1944 but no other explanation. About this time, they were dug in and facing off against the Red Army, so it may have, perhaps, signify what the owner felt might be the coming of a long epic battle, but who knows for sure? The other decorations are nicely done with hatch work on the ring as well as the rim of the base and the "flower petal design" is repeated around the waist of the cup 4 times as well as even being added to the bottom. At any rate, it makes for a nice addition to the collection-which is getting harder and harder to add to these days. So, what do you think of it? Any guesses on the date significance? It's interesting to muse on the last time this little cup was drank from,by who and under what circumstances. Not to mention the ultimate fate of it's maker. It was beat up and buried for a reason...was the owner found near by to it? The digger wouldn't say...
    German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2German Shotglasses...and lots Of them! Part 2
    William

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast