Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

i have an old clock left to me from the war, anyone know about it?

Article about: I was left a clock which i was told was a u boat clock from the second world war, left to me by my grandad. I cannot find the clocks seriel number online and was hoping someone here might kn

Default Re: i have an old clock left to me from the war, anyone know about it?

If it were mine I'd keep it, it's pretty cool and nice to be from a family member. If the face has been swapped out to denazify it it would certainly reduce the value. By what, who knows. 40% or more?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement i have an old clock left to me from the war, anyone know about it?
    P
    Many

Johnny86: Gunny Hartmann is right that it looks like a U-boat bulkhead clock, but I don't think the center of the face is missing. I think that your clock is simply made that way. The absence of the Imperial crown insignia( WWI) or the TR Reichsadler (WWII), causes me to think that it's not a navy clock but a maritime model. Typically, equipment that was installed in WWI and WWII U-boats had the boat's hull number stamped on it somewhere. Either way it's a valuable piece. Dwight

Quote by johnny86 View Post
    Will it lose alot of value if the front is not there?
    It will lose some value as it appears to have been De-Nazified with the Kreigsmarine Adler and other markings having been machine milled (poorly) off the face. This means that you cannot positively tell if it is from a U-Boat.

Look at the one Gunny has posted, note the 'N' at the 3 o'clock position. This stands for 'Nordsee', others would be marked with an 'O' for 'Ostsee', the northern and southern hemispheres. These would only be found in ships that operated specifically in those areas. Clocks with no 'N' or 'O', just blank, would have been found only in U-Boats or Blockade Breakers that operated in the Atlantic. Unfortunately this information has been lost by the machining on the face to remove the Nazi eagle, and will affect the value to some degree.

I think the clock may be an 8 day type, and if you take it off the piece of Conti Board it's screwed to, you may well find the makers details on the back or inside of it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks do you think is still worth much money as it still works!

More like this one eh Ned!...
    i have an old clock left to me from the war, anyone know about it?

In my opinion, this is simply a ships clock. Nothing about it indicates that it is Kriegsmarine, much less a U-boat. Clocks like these are used on countless thousands of ships and have been for decades. It's even unlikely that it is German at all. it could be from Any country.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It needs getting off that bloody board and looking at properly, no messing around!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

For whatever reason i think the centre of the clock face has been removed (badly), if you zoom in and look at the 10 the very edge of the 0 is not there, i don't believe for a minute somebody would manufacture a precision clock and not have the numbers fit the face properly.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    For whatever reason i think the centre of the clock face has been removed (badly), if you zoom in and look at the 10 the very edge of the 0 is not there, i don't believe for a minute somebody would manufacture a precision clock and not have the numbers fit the face properly.
    I noticed that too, along with the 'shaving' of the '7' as well. Just look at the milled finish, it's crap, that would never pass Q.C. in a million years, I still say it's been buggered with to remove any Nazi conotations.

Johnny86: I think that Gunny Hartmann and Big Ned are right that someone has milled away the center of the face. I hadn't looked at it that closely. And the fact that it appears to have been milled away leads one to believe that it has been "denazified." That's a shame. Let us know what, if anything, you find on the back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2