Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay

Article about: I was alerted to the box in the attached pictures and viewed it on Ebay where it is up for auction. Whilst I like the box and believe it is period along with the diamond pattern and the V fo

Default Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay

I was alerted to the box in the attached pictures and viewed it on Ebay where it is up for auction. Whilst I like the box and believe it is period along with the diamond pattern and the V for victory and date 1943. I do have a problem with the outline of Jersey. I asked the seller for a close up of the front of the box with the sticker removed. His response was not as expected..... someone wanting to aid a buyer in deciding how much to bid. He came back saying the item was packed and could not send a photo. I feel the Jersey part of the box is post war applied and therefore done to deceive. Maybe others of you who are into wooden type trench art might have opinions either way, please let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay  Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay  Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay
    P
    Many

who's the seller?

I deleted it. They were from Tekesbury I think

Wooden box with some "embellishments" why V for Victory in 1943 though? Would make more sense if dated 1945.

In the Channel Islands as a sign of resistance by the local population people went around at night and daubed "V" onto buildings etc. This in turn got up the Germans nose as you might suspect, but rather than going around and overpainting the V's they adopted the V themselves but put laurel leaves either side of the V so making further use of the symbol pointless by the civilians. So the box offered for sale has what I would term a civilian V, which I also believe was used in France. So all in all not a box that is actually as it supposed to be.
    In the following photos you will see a civilian daubed V painted on a Germen road sign, the a V painted on a wall which was visible until the mid 80's or so. Then there are 2 photos of the German V on the cover of a magazine cover, it looks like the cover was used as part of a stencil with overpaint on it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay   Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay  

Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay   Suspect wooden trench art bos on Ebay  

?

Very interesting info about the " V" , i didn't know that .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings