Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?

Article about: Somebody brought this into my wifes' shop today as they know that I am interested in WW2 and want it identified. All I know is that it was given to them by their Grandfather who fought in WW

Default Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?

Somebody brought this into my wifes' shop today as they know that I am interested in WW2 and want it identified. All I know is that it was given to them by their Grandfather who fought in WW2 (British), I do not know what service they were in or where they served.

I am at a bit of a loss so I hope the pictures speak for themselves - It is clearly a 'home-made' piece (whether made by a German or British serviceman I don't know). It has been de-nazified by snapping the swastika off, given the level of care they put into I can only summise that it was originally constructed with the swastika in place and it was removed post-war. The badge appears to be attached by metal pins which run horizontal on the top and bottom of the badge. The metal 'bullets' hanging from the bottom appear to be made from aluminium and although they have a screw thread I believe that they have been turned on lathe for this piece and have not come off anything else. The wool on the back of the badge has faded but given its colour I would guess that it is Lufwaffe or possible RAF based.
    Is the braid from an officers uniform or sword/dagger?
    My guess is that it was made by a bored serviceman (i.e. 'trench art') either as a wall hanging / objet d'art or possibly as a curtain tie back.

Can anybody identify the badge and braid and offer any opinions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?   Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?  

Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?   Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?  

Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?   Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?  

Attached Images Attached Images Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?  Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unusual Luftwaffe badge and braid - Trench art?

Luftwaffe Marksmanship Lanyard...
    cheers, Glenn

Many thanks - shows what I know!

Allow me to add that it is the 3. Stufe [3rd Level], for Flakartillierie [Anti-Aircraft Artillery].

(The level was identified by the color of the lanyard and badge in combination with the number of the little "shell" pendants; these were specific to the Flak branch; the other branches had acorns.)

I believe that it is a Grade seven due to the two 'shells' (I have done a little internet research now I know what it is). It's a shame that it has been de-Nazified but at least I can let the owner know what it is

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    I believe that it is a Grade seven due to the two 'shells' (I have done a little internet research now I know what it is). It's a shame that it has been de-Nazified but at least I can let the owner know what it is
    No: a grade seven lanyard would have had an aluminum braid cord flecked with blue-grey. Seen here is the blue-grey cord flecked with aluminum as used for grades 1 through 4.

Many thanks - do the number of shells denote anything?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Many thanks - do the number of shells denote anything?
    Like I said in post # 4, they were part of what identified the grade. Here is a full overview:

Grades 1 through 4: Blue-grey artificial silk lanyard flecked with aluminum, dull silver-colored eagle/wreath badge, dull aluminum-colored acorns/shells
    • Grade 1: No acorns/shells
    • Grade 2: 1 acorn/shell
    • Grade 3: 2 acorns/shells
    • Grade 4: 3 acorns/shells

Grades 5 through 8: Aluminum lanyard flecked with blue-grey artificial silk, bright aluminum-colored eagle/wreath badge, bright aluminum-colored acorns/shells
    • Grade 5: No acorns/shells
    • Grade 6: 1 acorn/shell
    • Grade 7: 2 acorns/shells
    • Grade 8: 3 acorns/shells

Grades 9 through 12: Blue-grey artificial silk lanyard flecked with gold, gold-colored eagle/wreath badge, gold-colored acorns/shells
    • Grade 9: No acorns/shells
    • Grade 10: 1 acorn/shell
    • Grade 11: 2 acorns/shells
    • Grade 12: 3 acorns/shells

The lanyard was instituted with an order of 30 Oct. 1936; the shells for the Flak branch with an order of 11 June 1937; prior to this, the acorns were used for all branches.

For "walking-out", private-purchase lanyards could be worn; these were manufactured with real (instead of artificial) silk and of generally superior quality to the issue ones.

Here's a wartime image of the lanyard in wear by a Luftwaffe SNCO of the Flak branch:

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Many thanks for all of the information