P
    Many

Another item

What is this?  Trench Art or POW Art

?

Daddydog, - fairly sure you have a piece of trench art, etched on is owner's name, company, commemoration of his service. I believe as a POW the water bottle would have been confiscated - reused by his capturers. Roughly/ rule of thumb - POW pieces are crude hand-made objects, have usually etched is where they are / place, date, initials or name. Here's a cigarette case I have -

its crudely worked, beaten together piece. Ran the inscription Krasnogorsk through Google, came up with "POW camp Krasnogorsk 27, situated 25 kilometres Northwest of Moscow, a officers only camp, one of its more famous internee's was "Feldmarschell Paulus" of Stalingrad fame. Looking at the pattern motif, suspect the owner may have been a Bavarian, unsure what the initails AKE may mean. Maybe some members know. Any information welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this?  Trench Art or POW Art   What is this?  Trench Art or POW Art  

?

That E in "AkE" on the krasnogorsk case looks very much like the E the Estonian Legion used. Very Nice items
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

?

What you have is some very nice trench art some very killer designs, german trench art like this is few and far between

It is almost certainly not POW art, as the swastika was generally forbidden in camps and this piece shows it. Also, in a POW piece, quite often they will make mention of the camp or the fact that it was made in a camp. It's a very well done trench art bottle, in any case, and a very nice collectable!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The messkit is engraved with good wishes for Grenadier Werner Ehrhardt's 19th birthday from his unit...The photo apparently shows his grave...
    The canteen is engraved with "in memory of my military service" by an Oberfeldwebel Griebs...
    Obviously these items are from two separate individuals. I agree that this is not POW Art, but rather Trench Art...
    cheers, Glenn