Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wolhow sticks

Article about: Here's ours small collektion of trench sticks. The tradition to do such sticks is very old. In German army it was since WWI i think. But now they well nown as a "Wolhow sticks". Wo

Default Re: Wolhow sticks

Have You any new Wolchow sticks to show? I'm still waiting a Christmas present from München and I hope I can soon post some new pictures:-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wolhow sticks
    P
    Many

?

Wolhow sticksWolhow sticks

My latest from the Narva Front !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Wolhow sticksWolhow sticksWolhow sticks
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Wolhow sticksWolhow sticks

1st July 1916

It is an interesting example, probably belonged to a seaman? Turku is a city in Finland and Narva is in Estonia. I have not ever seen before such engravings.

What the upper word says? Cross is also strange, maybe it is not a EK at all but a Finnish award (they had a lot of awards of the similar design).

?

Maybe one of the Finns serving with Nordland who was from Turku originally ! I think the cross is an EK it's just that the carving on this one is not the best !!

Due to the damage it is difficult to makwe out the top word bu i think it's maybe his name .

1st July 1916

Fascinating things, these sticks. Just what did they Do with them? Send them home for souvenirs to the folks in the Fatherland? Or did they actually carry them around like a baton? Most of them pictured look as if they were handled quite abit-did they actually Carry these things?? Leave it to a German to treasure his swagger stick!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

They became a bit of a trendy fashion item William mostly in the areas of Army Group North although they are found from elsewhere , they would use them as walking sticks etc.

1st July 1916

As far as I know they were bought as souvenirs but they were also actually used as walking sticks. I have seen a photo how Russian POW is making such sticks in Wolchow front, he had around 10-20 sticks! And I read from memuar book of estonian soldier how he made these sticks for his comerades for 2 packs of cigarettes each. These sticks are quite popular in Germany so I belive many were sent home or just left home after vacation. These sticks are still underpriced but the prices are rising. Some sellers already ask 100 and more euros for a stick and SS-ones are of course even more expensive. As I got much of such stuff directly from veteran families and I never pay too much I belive it gives also a guarantee these items are genuine. The only bad thing is that as these sticks are often more than 1 meter long shipping may be very expensive.

I found a picture from Div. Nord stick what was posted by our forum member Jan. Look at the cross - I still think that that maybe it is not the EK but a Finland military award. So I belive Your stick is also from Finland origin. As it is "denazified" it belonged to the German owner because there was no need to "denazify" such items in Finland (Finns still have swastika as their military symbol and it does not have anything to do with the III Reich). Did you got it from Germany? If yes, I quess it maybe belonged to a person who was stationed in Turku and also in Narva. Usually engravings are from the places the owner was stationed during the war. Does anyone know history of suchs walkingsticks? I have seen many examples from Germany and Austria what were made before WWII - you got a stick and then started to collect little brass plates to that sticks when You were on vacation for example. I belive it is an old tradition common in the southern part of Germany and in Austria.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast