Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wondering...... can someone help?

Article about: Actually my grandfather did not tell the story, my grandmother did. My grampa would not speak of the things that happened while he was in the war to anyone but his wife. I am not going to sa

Default Re: Wondering...... can someone help?

Actually my grandfather did not tell the story, my grandmother did. My grampa would not speak of the things that happened while he was in the war to anyone but his wife. I am not going to say it is true or not as I was not there.

- - Updated - -

Thanks for all your help,,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wondering...... can someone help?
    P
    Many

?

Quote by winterhilfswerk Book View Post
    This is a popular mistake...these types of stories have grown over the past 70+ years. More than likely he found this while in occupation of some town or city. Could have even traded for it with other GI's.

I am not calling your Grandfather a liar...but this wasn't removed from a dead soldier.

Regards,
    Chrys
    Always good practice not to paint everything with the same brush though, unless you have specific knowledge of this item?

Quote by DioMac View Post
    Always good practice not to paint everything with the same brush though, unless you have specific knowledge of this item?
    Not going to debate this with you but the odds of someone carrying this with them in 1944 is highly unlikely. I have had the pleasure to talk with numerous German veterans and all have told me that they were more concerned with survival by 1944...things like medals, badges and other things like that were of little importance. You hear all the time about someones Grand Father that brought back 'nazi daggers' off of dead German soldiers...only problem is that dress daggers were forbidden around late 1943 for most organizations. It just simply is a romantic story that gets told from generation to generation. It sounds better to say it came from a 'dead Nazi' rather than a farm house in southern Germany in 1946.

Like I said...I meant no offense...but opinions were requested....and I stated my opinion.

Regards,
    Chrys

I would agree with Chrys here.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2