Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?

Article about: My dad was in WW II and among many other items he brought home is this artillery shell. The raised emblem has the words "GOTT MIT UNS" (God with us) and what appears to be the Brit

Default WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?

My dad was in WW II and among many other items he brought home is this artillery shell. The raised emblem has the words "GOTT MIT UNS" (God with us) and what appears to be the British crown in the middle. The shell is approximately 3-3/4" tall and has a diameter of 1-1/2" at the throat. Can anyone give me some information on this?

WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    This is known as "trench art"
    Creating items like this are what soldiers did to pass the time while they were "NOT" fighting. The "GOT MIT UNS" disc is the front roundel from an Imperial German buckle.
    Sorry, can't help you with the casing.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi. As stated, the emblem is the centre of an imperial German belt buckle. The shell case will be from a 37mm cannon from the First World War era although I don't recognise the headstamp (with the Lot. No. Could be British or US?). This was a pretty common shell case to make trench art with, I suppose for it's small, handy size.

Thank you both for the information. I did find a photo of the Imperial German belt buckle and it does have the same emblem.
    Regards,
    Jim

?

Heres a WWII shell that took a lot of work to complete-

Horst

WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?WW II German artillery shell with raised emblem. Can anyone identify?
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"