Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

10 line telephone exchange

Article about: Hi last blast from me............. A cable hanger ? for fixing the telephone cables off ground. These were I believe used to help fix cables from say tress etc to keep them off the ground. A

Default Re: 10 line telephone exchange

Hi

last blast from me.............

A cable hanger ? for fixing the telephone cables off ground. These were I believe used to help fix cables from say tress etc to keep them off the ground.

10 line telephone exchange10 line telephone exchange

A boxed example of a morse key.

Manuals for signals personnel.

cheers

tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 10 line telephone exchange
    P
    Many

Here's the big brother "suspension hook"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 10 line telephone exchange   10 line telephone exchange  

Spandau, The "tree hangers" are knows as Baumhaken. You have correctly identified them. The small type you posted were used by small and medium phone units. They were for light cable. Larger, more robust examples including the type posted by Jersey 34 were used with medium and heavy phone units to hang heavy cable. NH

Cabling poles came in two sizes 3-Teilige and 2-Teilige. The 3 part pole was for small phone squads and were used to adjust cable and place the Baumhakend depicted above. NH

Hi Neil and jersey34

Thanks for the extra info. Always nice to learn and see new things.

This forum has certainly got some brains on it ! It's what makes it what it is....thanks for sharing.

Thanks.

cheers

Tony

Neil, are your poles original. I am not sure that they are, please correct me if I am wrong but they look like a make up for re-enactors. Original examples have a different shaped pig tail affair which is really different from what your showing and your poles look to be metal shafted when normally they are wood. I will go up my shed later today and photograph the ones I have.
    By the way Neil, are you the same guy who works at a radio station? If so I thought I had sent you an original set a few years back.

I have been out to the shed and taken a few pictures of the poles used to lift telephone wire up into the branches of tree's. I used to have about 100 sets but am down to the last few. You can see the head/pigtail affair at the end of the pole differs from the example shown by Neil Hever. His set appear to be a made up set for use with a re-enactment group as they are not quite correct.... If i am wrong please say, but all the ones I have are of the same pattern. I was told the set of 3 poles was used by troops on foot, and a set of 2 poles was used by mounted troops, wehter this is correct or not I don't know but I guess it makes a bit of sense. Anyway as promised there's what I know to be original poles as found here on Jersey.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 10 line telephone exchange   10 line telephone exchange  

This would be the carrier for telephone cable mounted on a horses back. This example was recued many years ago from the German tunnels here on the Island where all the german equipment was dumped after the Occupation of Jersey. Such items are extremely rare these day and although not complete it a good example of a hard to find piece of kit

10 line telephone exchange   10 line telephone exchange  

Ahhh! There you are Jersey 34! Of course I remember you. In fact, I'd like to see if you have more commo gear for sale. My 3 part pole is original - you just can't see the wooden pole section. And you are correct - 3-Teilige is for small phone squad on foot and 2-Teilige is for phone units at mid to large size with transport. The hook section is called the Aufsatz. The hook for the small squad pole was detachtable. The larger type you have illustrated is not detachable. I will post more things later. Jersey - stay in touch! NH

jordn008
    ?

Post Re: 10 line telephone exchange

oh its really cool..
    these are very rear now to see these exchanges ...
    is it a dial exchange or something diff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast