Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

17 cmK ammo tube

Article about: Hi All, Just want to show my own xmas present for myself - an ammo tube for holding 17cmK ammo (I think) - looks to be in very good condition with only a couple of minor deformities...I usua

?

Default 17 cmK ammo tube

Hi All,

Just want to show my own xmas present for myself - an ammo tube for holding 17cmK ammo (I think) - looks to be in very good condition with only a couple of minor deformities...I usually see them all rusted, with a lot less paint on them, so when I saw this (seller found it on attic of an old house here in Hungary), I thought it would be a great display piece.

It was quite a biding-war, eventually I won it for 102 EU - 'hope that was a good price for it, I tried to find some for sale on the internet, no luck - just to see a general market value.

Anyway, I'm happy with this - will take more pics, see any markings, etc. when I pick up the item in a week or so...

Cheers,
    Fabe

17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 17 cmK ammo tube
    P
    Many

nice piece.

Please post the designation marked on the tube for me so I can look it up in my ordnance dictionary. I am unable to read it too well based on the photos. I can just make out 17 cm - the rest is fuzzy. NH

?

Very nice piece - Ebay purchase? I have not been able to find a 170mm one to reference either.

?

no, it's from a Hungarian auction/biding site (kind of like ebay) "Vatera" - I think on ebay, the price would've been a lot more...

Quote by alikat View Post
    Very nice piece - Ebay purchase? I have not been able to find a 170mm one to reference either.

Still hard to read but I did find 17 cm info in the Picatinny Arsenal dictionary. The designation kart indicates this is a container for a Kartusche or a propellent charge. The projectile associated with it could be for a 170mm gun (17cm K 18) or possibly a railway gun (17 cm K (E) or Austrian gun 17 cm K(รถ). I need a clearer reading of the designation. NH

Probably related to this beast. Funny, the Picatinny Arsenal dictionary from 1958 references an example of this gun being on display at Aberdeen in Maryland. Apparently, it is still there! NH

17 cmK ammo tube

?

thx for the info - as soon as I have the item in my hands, I'll write down all the markings...

only other specs: it's 77 cm tall

Sure looks big enough to accommodate a 170 mm projectile! NH

?

Ok, picked up the tube today - and it's HUGE!
    not really heavy, maybe 5-6 kilos...
    There is a number "26" under both latches and a WaA eagle inkstamp near the bottom of the tube and "44" marking right next to it (1944) - will try to take some better photos tomorrow of all the text, etc.

I took this quick pic with it, next to a ord. tan gascan for size compare:
    17 cmK ammo tube

The seller was a really nice old man in his 70s, he told me that he found this (along with a German helmet and a few ammo boxes all in this good condition, in his father's old house's attic - these were pretty much untouched since 1945 - virtually all (I'd say 95%) paint is still there, only some minor artificial rust here an' there...

more updates soon...
    Last edited by Fabe; 12-07-2014 at 01:25 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast