Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

17 cmK ammo tube

Article about: Hi All, Just want to show my own xmas present for myself - an ammo tube for holding 17cmK ammo (I think) - looks to be in very good condition with only a couple of minor deformities...I usua

Wow! That thing is huge. Usually we don't buy stories but in this case I think we can make an exception. Not a common item and in terrific condition. A propellant charge that big is for a monstrous cannon or naval cannon. Looking forward to more photos so we can nail down the designation. NH

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 17 cmK ammo tube
    P
    Many

?

Well, I'm not sure if we'll be much smarter after the pics...here they are - not great, but good enough to see:

Ok, here is the WaA eagle ink-stamp - maybe "982" numbers (?)
    17 cmK ammo tube

About 2 cm to the right of the ink-stamp is the number "44" - both of these are on the very bottom part of the tube (but still on its' side)
    17 cmK ammo tube

Here is the first of 3 parts of the main text - first word: "...kart 3" (can't read the first 2 letters, maybe a "V" or "W" is the first (?)
    17 cmK ammo tube

Second word: "...17cmK" (again, can't see the first 2 letters)
    17 cmK ammo tube

Third word: "Mrsla..." (???)
    17 cmK ammo tube

Smaller text right under the main text, all clear to see, sort of:
    17 cmK ammo tube

Slightly larger size text as the smaller text under the main text - but this one is on the other side of the tube, all clear to see:
    17 cmK ammo tube

The number "26" at the under-part of both closing latches:
    17 cmK ammo tube

View of the bottom of the tube:
    17 cmK ammo tube

Side view - where the main text is:
    17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube

View of the top of the tube (with handle in 'up' and 'down' position:
    17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube

View of the inside - 0% rust, like new - no markings:
    17 cmK ammo tube

View of the back part of the lid - around 1cm thick carton for damping and black rubber (still soft) ring around is still present:
    17 cmK ammo tube

Another shot next to 2 of my "251s" wheels - for size compare:
    17 cmK ammo tube

The old man was def. wasn't a BS artist, I can tell these things right away...he said; he'll keep the helmet for his grandson, and already sold the ammo boxes...and thankfully sold this baby to me!

Cheers
    Fabe
    Last edited by Fabe; 12-08-2014 at 02:26 AM.

?

Fabe, I always like it when the item you receive is better than you expected - an added bonus! I bought a WW1 shell casing piece of 'trench art' and was expecting a regular size casing. When a huge shell casing turns up I was suitably impressed. I will get around to posting on the relevant forum later.

?

ok, the main text is or almost (I don't see "18" on mine):

"17cm K. 18.i. Mrs. Laf." = 17cm Kanone 18 in Mörserlafette = 17cm Mod. 18 Cannon on self propelled mortar

from another thread:
    Ammo boxes and belts

?

Nouvelle page 0

and

17 cm K.i.Mrs.Laf

on the right - for propellant charges (20 kg):
    17 cmK ammo tube

Well, I have one almost identical. This one comes from Tuscany, near Siena, and was utilized by the farmer who found it to store corn seeds! He had two more of it, but green painted.
    I've readed that the 17 cm kanone was quite an uncommon piece: only 338 made from 1941 to 1945.

17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube

?

very nice! does your tube also has a "WaA" inkstamp (if yes, could you tell us the number please) and a date near the bottom of the tube?

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Well, I have one almost identical. This one comes from Tuscany, near Siena, and was utilized by the farmer who found it to store corn seeds! He had two more of it, but green painted.
    very nice! does your tube also has a "WaA" inkstamp (if yes, could you tell us the number) and a date near the bottom of the tube?

I've readed that the 17 cm kanone was quite an uncommon piece: only 338 made from 1941 to 1945.

17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube17 cmK ammo tube

Unfortunately not. Judging by the "gelb" color, I can only estimate its production after mid '43.

Apparently, the photo I posted of that gigantic cannon was the correct type. I'm not sure why it is referred to as a mortar lafette since the cannon had a dual recoil mechanism. Perhaps it is just a reference to the stability of the platform and the ability of it to mimic the accuracy of a mortar. NH

?

here is the only photo that I could find - of the ammo tubes in WW2 field use:
    17 cmK ammo tube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast