MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1936 dated tornister

Article about: thank you jp for your help on this one crikey you do know your stuff ,i really am a novice on this german gear collecting im just glad the added parts are period items and not repros ,im int

thanks very much timothy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1936 dated tornister
    P
    Many

The mess tin pouch has been removed James ( a common thing ) but I have a soft spot for "tornies" - they are as you say, reasonable on the pocket!!

Cheers, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images 1936 dated tornister 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

superb layout referance picture dan was it common practise to remove or purely down to wear and tear on the mess tin pocket ,post up your example's here mate ,id love to see a few,

Quote by James C View Post
    superb layout referance picture dan was it common practise to remove or purely down to wear and tear on the mess tin pocket ,post up your example's here mate ,id love to see a few,
    Prewar the mess tin went in the tornister but with the move to the outside of the breadbag, the pouch was redundant and I think thats why most were taken out. When I have unpacked everything ( still boxed up after my house move ) I can show mine - and a pouch ( removed )

Cheers, Dan

Hello Gentlemen,
    I'm sorry i really dont want to disturb this nice Tornister party but the one shown here has been totally messed with...

- messkit pocket removed
    - mismatched carrying straps positioned inside out
    - front hooks replaced
    - small leather tabs at the end of front straps missing
    - auxiliary straps/carbine hooks modified
    - belt hook missing
    - leather loop for belt hook missing

It makes a lot for a single item...IMO
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

JP is of course correct but for me it exhibits the field changes \ modifications that would have been made prior to the introduction of the assault frame and haversack. An unmolested example it is not but I think all the modifications one sees on this tells a story in itself.

Nice Tornister James
    I love early stuff

Hi J Philiip, You appear to be a bit of a wiz kid on these back packs. If I display one or two of mine, will you give me a similar breakdown on whats what on them please? Like James, I too like them for what they are however, my knowledge is verging on the none existant. Cheers MR

James I have found on this field gear a lot of it at least has had something done to it in the 65 to 70 years it is old. ALso not to mention other armies used it after the war. I am with Dan on the modified stuff does make it interesting and often that is what we find the saying "It is what it Is" JP knows his field gear but I like stuff like this and own some myself my pack is missing some straps on the inside but I still like it you have a super display on that mannequin form. timothy

Very nice! Makes a great display.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast