Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

6x30 Dienstglas

Article about: Hi folks, I've had this set of 6x30 binoculars for about 10 years. I know they originated in the Imperial era around WWI. They may have seen continuous service. I have not been able to ident

Default 6x30 Dienstglas

Hi folks, I've had this set of 6x30 binoculars for about 10 years. I know they originated in the Imperial era around WWI. They may have seen continuous service. I have not been able to identify the inscription on the right lens. They are marked Carl Zeiss/Jena - Marineglas 472349 - 6X and inscribed 133.Ref. M.G.K.5. Any input is welcome. NH

6x30 Dienstglas6x30 Dienstglas6x30 Dienstglas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 6x30 Dienstglas
    P
    Many

Default Re: 6x30 Dienstglas

Apparently 1915 vintage.

Hello,
    Are you sure about the marking 133. Ref. ? (especially about the letter f )
    on the first photo at full size, i may be wrong but i can see M.G.K 15 (and not 5 as you mentioned)...
    anyway M.G.K. means MG Kompanie (machine gun company)...
    of course as you know Carl Zeiss/Jena is the maker and his location

Neil : did you come to the 1915 date with the serial number provided after Marineglas (navy binoculars) ?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks for the input JPhillip! The inscription looks like 133. Ref. even under magnification but I may be wrong about the f. Perhaps it is a scripted s - not sure. The inscription may read 15 or 5. I will have to clean up the area in question for a better read. I did hear from a collector on Facebook who sent me a list showing 6X30 Marineglas in this serial number range being from 1915. NH

Hello Neil,
    Res. would make more sense than Ref.
    In this case it could mean Reserve, like 133rd Reserve Regiment...MG Kompanie 5 or 15...
    Of course it's only speculations, WWI markings is not really in my field....but these markings are they really from WWI ? or postWWI ?
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

JP, No clue on the origin of the inscription. It could be WWI or it could be Reichswehr era. They came with no history. But at 50 USD they were hard to pass up. NH