Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

88mm Flak 18 wicker pannier.

Article about: It's nice when something which has been eluding you for ages is added to your collection. My latest is one of those very distinctive wicker carriers for three 88mm rounds. The Germans must h

Cool 88mm Flak 18 wicker pannier.

It's nice when something which has been eluding you for ages is added to your collection. My latest is one of those very distinctive wicker carriers for three 88mm rounds. The Germans must have used millions of them, but after the war all they could really be used for was firewood......as a result, they can be irritatingly hard to find, and if seen at Continental fairs can be 'silly money'.

Anyhow, this one turned up on French e-bay from a seller in Caen. Cost was reasonable ( but the postage wasn't cheap - it's big and heavy ) and it arrived full of dust, cobwebs, and ears of corn but it's undamaged with no rot . No lid, sadly, but these were usually torn off on arrival at the front and discarded. I've seen loose lids at fairs in the past, so the project goes on.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 88mm Flak 18 wicker pannier.
    P
    Many

Wow..now thats an artifact of obscurity .

Congrats on a very difficult find. The Climate conditions must of been perfect in its preservation. Nice find Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Cool

Thanks, Larry - yes I'm very pleased indeed with it !

I've just been cleaning it carefully after using a vacuum cleaner to remove much of the dust - it's cleaned up well, and has very little damage. And just today, two more empty 88mm steel shellcases arrived courtesy of ZIB Militaria. They're a perfect fit in the pannier and all in all, it's a nice display item.....

very nice find.

7,7cm lFK Ammunition

lots of good info on this website Martin!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

It would seem alot of work went into creating these cases with time consuming weaving compared to wooden crates.

1. Were these Wicker cases imported or produced within Germany?
    2. Another question...which of these would of been more cost effective in producing?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Lightbulb

I'm not being sarcastic here - I'd love to know the answer myself !

AFAIK, the Germans were the only WWII Nation to make extensive use of these carriers. I'm assuming ( and this is pure guesswork ) that Germany must have had a wicker 'industry' which was otherwise idle during wartime, so constituted a 'non-strategic material'. This is what happened with the DH Mosquito aircraft in which most of the fuselage components were made in furniture factories, etc.

But I'd very much like to find a resource describing Germany's wartime wickerwork.......

Arrow

And here it is, cleaned up lightly and filled with 88mm steel cases. OK, so now I 'need' some C/12 primers, but they do turn up and that's the fun of these little projects - there's always some extra little thing to look for......

Found this photo on our Cloth Headgear forum..showing the Field use of these Wicker cases

Lightbulb

Quote by Larry C View Post
    It would seem alot of work went into creating these cases with time consuming weaving compared to wooden crates.

1. Were these Wicker cases imported or produced within Germany?
    OK, returning to this question, I've been ( trying ) to research this and at last found a reference in the German Official History of WWII ( in the 'Mobilization and Organization of Manpower' part ). Apaprently, most of the wickerwork - and the History specifically cites ammunition carriers - for the armed forces was made by convicts in prison workshops ( apparently, at the time, this was a 'traditional' convict activity in much the same way as sewing mailbags, etc was/is elsewhere ). It's noteworthy that this refers to convicts ( eg criminals etc ) and not concentration camp labour .

Which is something I never knew before.......