Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941

Article about: Another very important find today to share with fellow collectors.. These binoculars were captured from a DAK Captain by Tom Derrick, and given to his brother in law, Alex. They have been ke

?

Default Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941

Another very important find today to share with fellow collectors.. These binoculars were captured from a DAK Captain by Tom Derrick, and given to his brother in law, Alex. They have been kept in the glove boxes of all their cars, since the 1940s. Alex passed away 3 weeks ago, and i was presented with these today by his wife. I know nothing about German binoculars, but these now take the top shelf of my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss  Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941   Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss  Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941  

Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss  Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941   Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss  Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941  

Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss  Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss  Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941
    P
    Many

AIF
    ?

Default Re: Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941

Wow, you just keep coming up with the goods dont you? Another amazing item that came from a great man!
    Maybe we need to start a dedicated 2/48th thread so we can all show items related to the unit?

?

Default Re: Afrika Korp DAK Zeiss Binoculars Captured by Tom Diver Derrick VC DCM AIF 1941

Hello AIF, sounds like a great idea !!!!. I am trying to locate Toms diaries, believe it or not , they were given to the cleaning lady 6 years ago. I just have to find her name !!

AIF
    ?

Holy crap!! I hope she hasnt given them away or even worse tossed them out

?

Tobruk,
    you are a very lucky man to be the recipient of items from Tom Derrick.
    It's good also to see that these Bino's aren't ordnance tan (as are the many that are claimed to be DAK examples). Perhaps a thread on Tom Derrick with all of the articles that you're able to acquire would go well. I also hope that you're able to get hold of his diaries, they should go into a book about this real Australian 'Hero'.

Mark

?

Quote by aif View Post
    holy crap!! I hope she hasnt given them away or even worse tossed them out
    hello aif, i can not believe it, but i think they have been tossed. I have not given up yet.

?

Hello mark g, thanks for your reply. It appears the diaries were thrown in the bin. But i have not given up yet, i have one more person to see, who may have more info.

4md
    ?

gday, tobruk good luck with the search i hope you find those diaries..... excellent binoculars, my grandfather had a set of these. I will get some photos if i ever get down to the south east.

Apparently, this set was manufactured in early 1940 guessing by the number 1992952. I am not surprised to see field equipment used by an Afrikakorps soldier in standard continental color. The whole Dunkelgelb thing is overdone by folks trying to pass things off as AK. This set has provenance and the story makes them fantastic to own. NH

wow, cool how they enjoyed them through out the years. Imagine the stories they shared.....

I am just getting ready to post a pair of tan CaG 6x30 binoc's !